FG Knot Tool

CrowMan

For the last dozen years (for a lot of my presentations) I've been using a braid mainline and a FluoroCarbon leader. For most finesse and bottom contact applications, I find this gives me the best of both worlds...the sensitivity, no-stretch, and casting distance of braid, with the invisibility and abrasion resistance of FC.

Over the years, I've tried many different knots to make the braid/FC connection...Double Uni, Albright, Crazy Alberto, etc. All these knots work...however, once I tried the FG knot, I was sold. It's definitely the slimmest knot by far (no annoying tick-tick-tick as it flies through the guides), and virtually every knot comparison test that I've seen rates it as the strongest braid to FC connection. I've used the FG confidently from 8lb NanoFil to 6lb FC...right up to 80lb PowerPro to 120lb FC.

However, the biggest issue I had with the FG was tying it. There are several manual methods of tying it  from loading your rod and holding the braid in your teeth, to making a cats cradle with your hand. It's all about keeping the right tension on the braid. For me...with aging eyes and arthritic fingers...it was always a challenge...especially in a rocking boat, with the wind blowing, at dusk...well you get it. Most importantly, even though I eventually got it done, it was the time it took away from having a line in the water when the bite was on.

A few weeks ago, I came across the "Daichi FG Knot Assist Tool 2.0". It's a fairly simple device...that elicits a "why didn't I think of that" response. I can now tie a FG in less than 2 minutes even in the dark. I got one on Amazon for $30...worth every penny.

This video by JP DeRose will explain it better than I can:

There are a bunch of other videos on YouTube describing it too. Even with the tool, it initially may seem quite complicated...but after a few tries it's as easy as making a few half-hitches. Although not necessary, I do recommend the "Rizutto Finish"...again, much easier than it looks.

Anyway, I highly recommend this product...and if you haven't tried the FG knot...once you fish with it, you'll want to use nothing else.

• 2 months later...

I like the FG knot as well for my braid to fluro connections. I've seen this tool but wasn't sure if it was a gimmick or not. Maybe worth a try. Tying up at home isn't too bad but ya, in the boat, in the dark it's a pain and needs to be done right.

Edited by kickingfrog
typo

I’ve tried and tried, but with my raynauds syndrome and fishing in canada where we only get 10 out of 100 trips in a year where it’s not howling wind, cold, raining, snowing etc. I’ve always resorted back to the double uni just because my hands will put up with it. 

I’ve tried the shinfukae knot after hearing fantastic things about it but I haven’t been able to solve how to finish it, the guy doesn’t speak great English.

i made a thread a few years back about my troubles with my hands and knots that I like due to their ease of tying in bad weather and limited to no failure.

Edited by AKRISONER

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

I’ve tried and tried, but with my raynauds syndrome and fishing in canada where we only get 10 out of 100 trips in a year where it’s not howling wind, cold, raining, snowing etc. I’ve always resorted back to the double uni just because my hands will put up with it. 

I’ve tried the shinfukae knot after hearing fantastic things about it but I haven’t been able to solve how to finish it, the guy doesn’t speak great English.

i made a thread a few years back about my troubles with my hands and knots that I like due to their ease of tying in bad weather and limited to no failure.

Well he is quite understandable in this video.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fisherman said:

Well he is quite understandable in this video.

This is a much much clearer explanation than the last one I saw. He didn’t show how he finishes it in the last video I found of him tying it. I’m going to have to practice this one. It’s apparently awesome from the reviews over at bass boat central

• Like 1

Two reasons why I still prefer the FG to Shin's "Lazy Alberto" knot.

1. The FG is much slimmer...so it flies through the guides easier and quieter. With Shin's knot you still double over the leader which is always the thicker line...not so important with lighter lines, but more noticeable in heavier diameters.

2. With Shin's knot, the tag end of the leader (again the thicker and stiffer of the two lines you're connecting) faces the bait...so it "catches" the guides when you cast...again especially noticeable in heavier pound tests.  Not so with the FG. 

With the FG tool...even with my old arthritic hands, it's easy peasy. For $30 it's well worth it.

Edited by CrowMan

On 1/21/2023 at 9:01 PM, CrowMan said:

Two reasons why I still prefer the FG to Shin's "Lazy Alberto" knot.

1. The FG is much slimmer...so it flies through the guides easier and quieter. With Shin's knot you still double over the leader which is always the thicker line...not so important with lighter lines, but more noticeable in heavier diameters.

2. With Shin's knot, the tag end of the leader (again the thicker and stiffer of the two lines you're connecting) faces the bait...so it "catches" the guides when you cast...again especially noticeable in heavier pound tests.  Not so with the FG. 

With the FG tool...even with my old arthritic hands, it's easy peasy. For $30 it's well worth it.

I picked up the tool but haven't tried it yet, but I'm looking forward to using it. :)

• Like 1