Transporting rods in a pick up

CrowMan

Going on a multi-day road trip (stopping at hotels along the way) in my Ram 1500 with a short bed and a folding tonneau cover. Amongst others, I have a couple of one piece 8 and 8.5 ft rods I'd like to take along. The passenger seat will be occupied. Usually, I carry these rods in the rod locker of my Lund, or in my SUV, but I'm taking neither.

Any suggestions on keeping them safe, undamaged and secure (away from sticky fingers) on the journey  ?

might be a bit expensive now for 4" white PVC with screw on end caps. I made myself a long case from home depot for some air travel trips where I had 7 and 7.5 ft rods. To cushion the rods I glued in a cheap yoga mat from dollar store roughly 1 foot at each ends. Also you could see if there is still summer stuff out and grab the small 4ft cheap pool noodles. Split one side with and x-acto knife and slip the rod into the center space from tip to handle. You'll need to buy 2 to do the long rods and then these can be stored in 8' sections of that central vacuum tubes/pipes. These are cheaper than the white PVC

Travel secured in truck bed and take them in at night

• Like 2

Well, of course, I can bring the stuff inside my room...I do that with anything valuable that I leave in the bed of my truck when traveling..it doesn't take much to rip open a tonneau cover.

Perhaps I should elaborate more...my issue is two-fold.  I do have a lockable rod "bazooka" that fits the rods and have used for air travel. However, obviously, it will be sticking out beyond my tailgate, so I won't be able to fully close the tonneau, and I would like to keep it closed to keep the rest of my stuff dry if it rains. Secondly, my wife likes to stop to go shopping, eat, sightseeing, hike a trail....well you get it. So, if I leave my bazooka in the bed that also exposes all my other gear to prying eyes because I can't lock the tonneau. 

My thoughts are some type of rack that I can secure the bazooka to, but still lock the tailgate and tonneau...or perhaps some other solution ??

Something like this, but I don't necessarily want to drop a g-note.

https://www.amazon.ca/TruXedo-Elevate-Rack-System-1118570/dp/B09VH9ZF83/ref=asc_df_B09VH9ZF83/?tag=googlemobshop-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=579166840760&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5795310157817414435&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9000834&hvtargid=pla-1840329705792&psc=1

BTW, I really don't like 2 piece rods. I only make an exception for my Steelhead gear and fly rods.

Edited by CrowMan

I can get a 7 footer in the cab...but unfortunately not an 8.

Finally retiring...doing a month long road trip this winter...fishing along the way from the Carolinas down to the Keys. I'm arranging some charters and wanted to bring some of my favourite Musky rods for some of the bigger salty critters...Stripers, Amberjack, Tarpon, Grouper, Cobia...

I guess my wife can ride in the back...lol

One of the rods is a St.Croix 8'6"   

I've given it a lot of thought, and unless somebody has another idea (that's why I posted) the "rack" solution might be the only thing that fits the bill. Anyone have ideas on a less expensive rack ? Doesn't need to support much weight, just the rod bazooka.

1 hour ago, dave524 said:

Whatever happened to 2 door pickups with and 8 foot box and a bench seat that would seat 3 or make a place to sleep on an overnite duck hunt or steelhead trip ?

They're at the dealerships waiting to be purchased.

1 hour ago, lew said:

They're at the dealerships waiting to be purchased.

The ones I have seen still got 2 buckets and a console in between. My trucking days are over, all the window stickers have list prices more than I paid for my house, too old for sacking out on the bench at night 🤣

• Like 2

Cheapest solution is probably to upgrade the containers on things you don't want to get wet or dirty in the bed with the tonneau partly open.  You can move the rods in to the cab diagonally for stops and lock the tonneau.  A few big totes and a couple of large dry bags should do it. 

Now, if you can convince yourself that more trips like this one are in your near future then maybe you could justify the rack system.  Spending $1000 to secure a couple of $500 rods once doesn't make a lot of sense. 

• 2 weeks later...

Are there rack pockets on the top rail of the truck's box? If so make your own racks that'll look something like what was pictured in the link. Get some 12 gage square or rectangular tubing that will fit inside the pockets; in the length that will be required. (Height X2 + length between the pockets for one rack) Measure the height you want and mark the tube across one of its widths. On the opposite side from your mark, cut two 45degee angles to point at the mark; but do not cut through the marked side. After it is cut the tube should still be one piece with a triangle cut out its side at the required height. Now bend the tubing to close the triangle. Once bent you should have a 90degrre bend. Do the same at the other end of the tubing. To secure the bend you could use  L brackets screwed to the inside of the bend. If your measurements were correct you should have a rack that'll fit the truck's rack pockets. Once the racks are built, there's hundreds of ways to secure and lock your rod tubes to. Other then your time, it should be under a hundred bucks to make. You can find this tubing at most of the metal supply stores. The place I use here in London is called the Metal Supermarket.

https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/store-finder/

Check their store locator to see if there's one close to you?

Dan...    

Edited by DanD

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2022 at 11:28 AM, Fang said:

might be a bit expensive now for 4" white PVC with screw on end caps. I made myself a long case from home depot for some air travel trips where I had 7 and 7.5 ft rods. To cushion the rods I glued in a cheap yoga mat from dollar store roughly 1 foot at each ends. Also you could see if there is still summer stuff out and grab the small 4ft cheap pool noodles. Split one side with and x-acto knife and slip the rod into the center space from tip to handle. You'll need to buy 2 to do the long rods and then these can be stored in 8' sections of that central vacuum tubes/pipes. These are cheaper than the white PVC

Travel secured in truck bed and take them in at night

Not for one-piece rods, but I made myself a rod case with PVC pipe.  I glued soft 1" thick foam in each end to really cushion rod tips.  I glued one cap on one end, and just friction fit the other end.  I drilled a hole in each cap and ran shock cord through the pipe to keep the cap on and to provide a bit of sideways cushioning in the tube to keep sideways movement controlled a bit.  I made a handle out of a slice of the PVC tube, shaped with a heat gun and used PVC cement to glue it to the side.  Painted it all to make it look less bush league.  Works great and holds two or three 2-piece rods.

Oh yeah another tip.  I bought a pack of black womens stretch hair bands.  The ones that are made of light shock cord material and about a 1.5" circle.  I use them on the boat, in the car, and in this rod tube, to hold the rods together by wrapping them at each end.  Rods go tip to handle and the tip is supported by the handle.  Keeps them organized even if they have the reels and line on them.

Then I made a simple lock for the open in case I travel by plane.  I plan to use a TSA approved luggage lock to lock it if I take it by plane.  Anyway, here are a few pics.

IMG_2524.jpg

IMG_2523.jpg

IMG_2525.jpg

Edited by Canuck

Very nice job Canuck...impressive handy work.

As I mentioned earlier, I already have a Flambeau Rod Bazooka that is lockable and expandable to 102". It has served me well for air travel (I also protect each individual rod with mesh sleeves) and from flights to northern Saskatchewan to the Cook Islands, my rods have always arrived unscathed.

The final solution I decided on is to install racks on the truck. I found some relatively inexpensive aluminum ones that will work with a tonneau cover. They should arrive shortly. I will then secure my Bazooka to the racks with stainless steel reinforced lockable straps. Not a completely theft proof solution... nothing really is...but someone will have to go to a lot of trouble if they really want my rods..

BTW, I found it really difficult to find 2 PC rods that fit my needs.

Anyway, something like this..

Flambeau-Outdoors-Fishing-Rod-Storage-and-Cases-6085-Bazuka-Colapsed.jpg

aluminum-truck-rack-04aa5aa1-37ad-4ba0-8c4a-0c52080510c8.webp

3158_1555616839_6647 (1).jpg

filters_fill(FFF).jpeg

Edited by CrowMan