Fogging outboard

Brian Gavin

In a separate fuel container run some 2 stroke oil & fuel mixture through the engine; till she starts to put out smoke. In the spring run Sea Foam through the system to clean out any residual oil carbon deposits that the 2 stroke may have left behind. 

Crappy sells this stuff.

tru-fuel-pre-mixed-32-oz--62b14f95-8b49-

I'd make up a hose to connect to the motor's fuel line and then stuff the other end in the can of fuel.

Dan..

On 10/12/2022 at 12:35 PM, Brian Gavin said:

I have a 2015 90 hp Mercury outboard and when winterizing the motor this fall I discovered I could not get access to the bottom cylinder to spray fog it because the motor cowling is in the way. Does anybody out there have the same issue and any suggestions?

No need to fog a 4 stroke. 

2 hours ago, BillM said:

Some guys like to spray a little oil right in the spark plug holes just to ensure that everywhere has a nice thin layer of oil to stop corrosion.

personally what’s far more important is to ensure that you have no ethanol in your system at all. The damage it does corroding and eating gaskets after long storage is ridiculous.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BillM said:

Do you need too, MAYBE NOT?

Does it hurt too, NO

Do I recommend it, YES

Intake valves and guides on a wet 4 stroke engine's manifold (fuel passing through) does not have any form of protection from condensation, while sitting over the winter; its only seen fuel. Same as direct injected engines, which are famous for accumulating deposits on the back of intake valves, where condensation can be absorbed and turn into something like cement. Giving the intake assembly any form of oily film will also help prevent the formation of oxidation on the shiny bits.   

When I stored customer's vehicles for the winter, I always fogged them. If there were an issue doing so I would have heard of it. These were the customer's summer time babies. Never had a hung up valve or seized piston ring doing so. 

Dan..

• Like 1

Not to change the subject, but still in storage mode.

Do you do anything with your boat's trailer? Suggest putting it on blocks. Blocks under the frame that'll support at least half the travel of the springs free height. Sitting static for any length of time could cause the springs to sag, if all the boat's weight is left on it.

Dan.. 

• Like 2

I lower the tongue all the way down to the floor with it sitting on my trolley jack, put the stands under the back and then lift the tongue back up to get the tires clear of the ground and crank the tongue jack down to hold for the winter.. remove trolley jack.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, irishfield said:

I lower the tongue all the way down to the floor with it sitting on my trolley jack, put the stands under the back and then lift the tongue back up to get the tires clear of the ground and crank the tongue jack down to hold for the winter.. remove trolley jack.

I must have gone to the same school of blocking up the trailer.  Makes it easy.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, irishfield said:

bingo (except I don't know what a trolly jack is!). I lower the tongue as low as it will go, put the stands behind the back tires, crank the tongue back up. Once I am cranked as high as it will go I stick a log (on end) under the tongue. This doesn't get my wheels in the air but the axle stands are definitely taking a lot of the weight. I then back off the tongue jack a little bit so that the log has the weight on it not the tongue jack. 

5 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

i have a concern about jack stands...I personally spend the winter working inside the boat doing wiring etc. Wouldn't jackstands be very susceptible to tipping if I am moving around inside of the boat?

Stack up some 4 x 4's instead and you'll have nothing to worry about.

18 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

i have a concern about jack stands...I personally spend the winter working inside the boat doing wiring etc. Wouldn't jackstands be very susceptible to tipping if I am moving around inside of the boat?

My jack stands are about 10x10 at the base and unless you are doing gymnastics or something with your partner we don't need to know about, no, they have never moved.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As a mechanic I've work probably half my tradesman's life under cars/trucks with stands holding them up off the ground. If they placed properly with the base square to the floor and square to the frame of whatever; you'd have a hard time to push a car/truck or boat trailer off the stand. After setting the stands and you're worried, get back about 20 feet from whatever is on the stands. Run at it like a linebacker going for a tackle. After hitting it and after you've woke up from being knocked unconcise; check to see if the stands have moved??? LOL 

Dan... 

Edited by DanD
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/20/2022 at 10:10 AM, irishfield said:

You are smarter than you look, Wayne! LOL

• Haha 1