Pit Bulls

JoePa

5 hours ago, JoePa said:

Why anyone would want this type of dog around children is hard to imagine - https://www.foxnews.com/us/dogs-fatally-mauled-tennessee-toddlers-injured-mom-never-violent-friend-says - the dogs have  bad rep - why take a chance

Like all dogs…the owners are to blame 

the point is that pit bulls attract a certain type of owner

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

the point is that pit bulls attract a certain type of owner

I agree. And I think this breed is mentally unstable and should be illegal. let the breed die off. Man created them so it is not like a “natural species” lost. 

unfortunately, the “tough dog image” types will move on to other breeds that can be dangerous like Rottweilers, shepards, Doberman’s etc.

19 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

This is the most logical comment out of all the above.

Dog owners will, in most cases dictate how the dog behaves. That being said, pit bulls may not be for first time dog owners, unless they’re dedicated owners.  

One of my best friends had several Pitt bulls over the course of his life. ALL of the dogs were nothing but obedient and attentive dogs. Even with his elderly mother nothing but sweet hearts. Didn’t even have to walk any of the dogs with leashes, they would walk beside him and/ or go to the corner sit and wait for him. 

I have a dog and both of the couples myself and my gf hang out with both have dogs. One has a golden other has a sharpie mix. We will only bring our dog to see the golden as they get along and the parents of said dog have turned the page in terms of having an obedient dog. The sharpie however we no longer bring our dog to see as the owners seem to not be concerned about the dog’s behaviour/ not really motivated to do anything about it. A dog who is aggressive to other dogs and just does whatever it sees fit and very rarely does what it’s told and when issues arise with this dog they wonder why. On the flip side another couple who we see infrequently have a very obedient/ well behaved sharpie who gets long with out dog. 

Not all people are prepared for the work a dogs needs. Even myself I will be the first to say I was very unprepared about how much work my own mini Aussie would be. LOTS of learning for me/gf and lots of obedience training for my dog, but the effort is worth it. 

What I guess in trying to say after this long rant is, people should do their homework on what breed of dog they want needs from the owner, and select a breed based on that assessment. Not just get a dog because of looks or because “they want it”. That mentality in my worthless 0.2 cents would/ could prevent this terrible things from happening. 

Edited by Musky Plug

• 2 weeks later...

As a veterinarian, I am glad Ontario put restrictions on Pit Bulls. The problem is the breed is poorly defined. Crossbreeds, Staffordshire crosses etc. Mastif type dogs are related. Of course owners that are kind and firm will have better outcomes with their Bullies. Training and leadership are necessary for all breeds but especially the potentially aggressive breeds. Most human and inter dog attacks are by intact males. Not long ago most dogs were bred for a job. Herding, guarding, fighting,  hunting etc. In the last century dogs became pets and became part of the family. The traits originally selected for are still within the breeds. Without training and discipline these traits can come to the fore.  Bullies and mastifs have powerful bites and tend to hold on, resulting in terrible damage to the victim. When several dogs are together, especially if not neutered, their aggression is increased.  Leaving kids, especially small ones, unattended with any dog involves risk. That risk is much highly with Pitt Bulls and several other breeds. Especially if not neutered. 
My 2 cents. 
Peter. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2