Firewood

JoePa

At the end of last winter I used up all of my firewood - luckily there are a lot of dead ash tress around so I can put up enough dry wood for this coming winter - you have to be very careful when cutting down these dead ash - the upper branches are dead and weak so when you cut a tree and it starts to fall these branches break off and fall down - at that point you better be somewhere else - the upper branches are nice and dry but I've been finding some trees where the trunk is starting to get spongy - I guess if the tree has been standing for a long time water probability wicks up the trunk and makes it that way - I burn about 5 or 6 full cords each year and getting enough wood takes me quite a bit of time - what I need to do is cut a year's worth of wood that I don't use until a year later - I have a lot of oak trees and love that wood but it takes a good year to dry properly - been burning wood since the mid 70s and cut a lot of trees down over the years - great exercise - the thing I wonder is when all the ash trees are dead and gone is the ash borer going to disappear - let's hope so 

• Like 1

I have oak, ash, white pine some maple on my property. Fortunately no ash near the building. Not there year round but when there in colder months heat with oak and ash that has been split and dried for a year. Dry hard wood gives more heat and less creosote.  I have more ash at the back and when they are dead I too hope the ash borer does not move to other trees. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My firewood for the last 3 or 4 years has been about 90% ash. All free. Removing hazard trees for people has its benefits. Your right though, it is a ton of work. I notice the young ash trees still going strong, so hopefully the beetle dies off, and those young once can regenerate. They grow quick and replenish well enough. 

S. 

• Like 1

Just a heads up here.

There are restrictions on moving fire wood form certain areas to others. I have no idea what the fines are but I know it wont be cheap? Here's the contact info for the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) they are the agency in charge of the ash bore issue.

CFIA Contact

A phone call doesn't cost you anything.

Dan... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DanD said:

Just a heads up here.

There are restrictions on moving fire wood form certain areas to others. I have no idea what the fines are but I know it wont be cheap? Here's the contact info for the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) they are the agency in charge of the ash bore issue.

CFIA Contact

A phone call doesn't cost you anything.

Dan... 

you are so correct Dan. I live in an area where a horned beetle caused havoc. They had to cut trees by the thousands. Apparently it came in on a skid and it spread quick.  It is now gone but it cost millions to eradicate. 

• 11 months later...

the ash borer, unfortunately, likes other trees/shrubs as well... I forget which ones, but you can look it up.  IDK if it will ever be eradicated.  It's a shame that this haas happened.  I walked through a beautiful Oak Ridges Morraine trail on Sunday with my kids and there were many very large, old growth ash trees dead and standing.. but many are being cut down by the municipality.  Pity.. we lost a great tree. 

Edited by siwash