Woods Bay Muskie Trip #4 - Looking for Guidance

Peter63

Heading out on our Fall Muskie trip.  This will be our 4th trip to Woods Bay area.  If the other 3 are any indication, it might be a slow few days.

Had some small success last year on the troll and if it weren't for a seriously undersized net, might have actually boated it... but still fun.

Just haven't been able to dial in what works best.  Trolling or casting.  Heading out to the open waters or going up the north channel?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Regards,

Peter63

GBay Musky in general is not a numbers fishery...slow is usually the name of the game. 

I had a a cottage on Wahsoune Island for several years...any success I had was in the deeper channels leading out to the open water of GBay. Once the temp drops, there's  a pattern that develops as the Whitefish start coming in for the spawn. BullDawgs in 15 to 25 fow...rock piles and points. Personally I preferred casting the big plastic, but if we trolled it was usually with Jakes or Triple D's. Natural Cisco/Whitefish colours. 

Never had much luck on Woods Bay itself....it got pounded to death by the weekend warriors.

There's no such thing as too big a net on the Bay...

Edited by CrowMan

Thanks for the advice guys.  I think we always spend too much time in the Bays in the past.  Moon River Bay, Blackstone, Woods Bay, North Channel etc..  (Probably because its a little more protected from the wind and waves) ..... sounds like it's time to get a bit closer to the open water where they're chasing the game fish.  Did the upgrade on the net so no excuses anymore. 

Will be a great time no matter what but hopefully a change in tactics will make it even better.

Thanks