Boat out camping questions

Hack_Fisherman

hey guys, any tent campers here? 

Looking for tips on how to make the better half happier in a boat access trip. Any votes for cots for comfort? Pads are a no, I could blame that on her but we are both too old to sleep on the ground on a 1” mat.. (longtime tent trailer and travel trailer campers…never did much tenting) yup…I know, lightweights :)

Also, aside from the yeti coolers, is there a comparable product on the market that isn’t going to break the bank? I don’t know if we’re ready for dehydrated camping at the stage if ever. and before anybody mentions it, I know the coolers are or can be bear attractants. I was thinking we would keep it in the boat under a blanket when not in use? Anybody ever hear of a bear climbing in a beached or moored boat? the rest I’d suspend in a tree. I just don’t want a bear messing up our food supply (planning a 2-3 day outing)

thanks in advance 

Years ago, we portaged a tinny and 9.9 into Diamond Lake at the north end of Temagami. Set up camp on a beautiful sand beach. Left all our food (in a cooler and snap lid plastic containers) in the boat for the night...thinking it was safe from the critters. Woke up in the morning...and there was about a 300lb Blackie sitting on his haunches on the middle bench of the Starcraft chowing down on a pork chop...we ate Walleye and pretty well nothing else for the next 3 days.

Lesson learned...yes, bears will climb into your boat to get to food..

Ohh...and a good thermal pad is a lot warmer than any cot..

Edited by CrowMan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

hey guys, any tent campers here? 

Looking for tips on how to make the better half happier in a boat access trip. Any votes for cots for comfort? Pads are a no, I could blame that on her but we are both too old to sleep on the ground on a 1” mat.. (longtime tent trailer and travel trailer campers…never did much tenting) yup…I know, lightweights :)

Also, aside from the yeti coolers, is there a comparable product on the market that isn’t going to break the bank? I don’t know if we’re ready for dehydrated camping at the stage if ever. and before anybody mentions it, I know the coolers are or can be bear attractants. I was thinking we would keep it in the boat under a blanket when not in use? Anybody ever hear of a bear climbing in a beached or moored boat? the rest I’d suspend in a tree. I just don’t want a bear messing up our food supply (planning a 2-3 day outing)

thanks in advance 

rethink the tree

squir3.jpg.521ae600711dd6fa208ca8b0c0822c9d.jpgsquir2.jpg.ef6d8eaebc5d31cbe028da0c542d5626.jpgsquir1.jpg.948fb5c7f8180b6a4b4c8e049ec333ff.jpgsquir4.jpg.169822cc1757d4402db2b66d2f0a0a23.jpg

Edited by dave524
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, CrowMan said:

Years ago, we portaged a tinny and 9.9 into Diamond Lake at the north end of Temagami. Set up camp on a beautiful sand beach. Left all our food (in a cooler and snap lid plastic containers) in the boat for the night...thinking it was safe from the critters. Woke up in the morning...and there was about a 300lb Blackie sitting on his haunches on the middle bench of the Starcraft chowing down on a pork chop...we ate Walleye and pretty well nothing else for the next 3 days.

Lesson learned...yes, bears will climb into your boat to get to food..

Ohh...and a good thermal pad is a lot warmer than any cot..

Thanks. I guess their noses are much better than I thought. how comfortable are the thermal pads? Is it worth putting a thermal pad on top of a cot?

Edited by Hack_Fisherman

I think after this thread, testing the waters might be best if we camp at a provincial park Where the cooler can be left in the vehicle, and the bulk and weight of gear isn’t an issue because it’s being set up right out of the vehicle, not dragged out in an overloaded boat. 

if she enjoys that, and then perhaps we will pair down further and do some back country. 

thanks for your thoughts

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

Thanks. I guess their noses are much better than I thought. how comfortable are the thermal pads? Is it worth putting a thermal pad on top of a cot?

Thermal pads can be very comfy...ThermaRest makes a "luxury" model that is 3 inches thick. The key is to make sure the ground underneath is smooth and free of rocks or lumps. For even better comfort...we cut a bunch of pine or fir boughs and make a nice soft "mattress" before pitching  the tent on top of them.

The problem with cots (besides not being firm enough for my taste) is that cold air circulates underneath them with little insulation...however, a cot and pad combo may be a good solution for you..

Edited by CrowMan
  • Like 1

Depending where you go some sites have a bear box you can put your cooler in; Massassauga has them.  Crown land will not but a provincial park back country site may have them. Call ahead and ask what your site has. 

some parks also have raised platform decks you can pitch your tent on rather than the ground. Bungees come in handy here. 

I’ve left my cooler in the boat shored and anchored. I ratchet strap the cooler tight; bruin will have to work for his lunch as hard as I had lug the darn thing if he wants a free lunch. 

At least for my better half, important they have a wind breaker for the boat and warm gear for the evenings. This time of year bugs aren’t bad but be prepared with the OFF spray. Never used the air horn but having it handy provides a sense of comfort. 

• Like 1

Cot and a pad together is the way to go.  If a bear wants your food bad enough you're pretty much SOL.  I use a "bear resistant" blue barrel and a cooler with a ratchet strap around it strapped to a stout tree.  Only time I've ever lost food was when it was in a dry bag hung in a tree lol.   In the shoulder season when bugs aren't a concern, a pop up ice hut makes for nice accommodations.  A couple of those interlocking foam mats for the floor and a little buddy heater to take the morning chill out and you're on your way. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chuck Enwinde said:

Cot and a pad together is the way to go.  If a bear wants your food bad enough you're pretty much SOL.  I use a "bear resistant" blue barrel and a cooler with a ratchet strap around it strapped to a stout tree.  Only time I've ever lost food was when it was in a dry bag hung in a tree lol.   In the shoulder season when bugs aren't a concern, a pop up ice hut makes for nice accommodations.  A couple of those interlocking foam mats for the floor and a little buddy heater to take the morning chill out and you're on your way. 

Those are some brilliant ideas. I never would’ve considered using my ice tent with pads or the ratchet strap on the cooler/tree idea. Thanks