Need advice for bucket list trip

JohnnyBravo923

There's a couple places that come to mind when thinking about bucket list trips for me.  Lake Nipigon (Onamans), Nipigon River (Red Rock), Lake Seul (many)and Lake of the Woods (many).  

What you're looking for in terms of accommodations, what species of fish you'd prefer and whether numbers or a chance at trophies is more important might help folks with recommendations. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Muskiemoe said:

I suggest acquiring a guide at lac Saul and go after musky there are a few great guides there and the musky will knock you off your seat have fun and stay fishing.

If he wants numbers, muskie isn't something he should be looking at.

OP should have no problems finding an outfitter that has dynamite walleye fishing.   It's a big province.   I could make some recommendations but unfortunately they're all flyin options.    

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JohnnyBravo923 said:

How much pressure does Lake Nipagon get?  How many lodges or homes are on the lake?  Anybody here with experience fishing it?  

Surprisingly not much, it's not uncommon to be out there for days without seeing a boat. Nipigon is probably the best drive to fishery on the world,  I think it's low traffic is due to the intimidating nature of the lake. It can go from glass to 6ft rollers quite fast. As Chuck noted above  onamans is a great launching point. You can fish ombatika Bay and have some shelter around islands,  the bay has extraordinary pike with fantastic walleye up by the jackfish River. Lake and brook trout not far from the onaman River outlet to the main lake 

• Thanks 1

On 9/23/2022 at 2:33 PM, JohnnyBravo923 said:

How much pressure does Lake Nipagon get?  How many lodges or homes are on the lake?  Anybody here with experience fishing it?  

If you are up at the Onaman river there are no cottages or lodges directly on the lake. It is a wild area and you can rent a boat on Onaman Lake for numbers and size(Walleye). This is a place where there is a lot of driving and possibly long boat rides on big water.. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/23/2022 at 4:59 AM, Chuck Enwinde said:

There's a couple places that come to mind when thinking about bucket list trips for me.  Lake Nipigon (Onamans), Nipigon River (Red Rock), Lake Seul (many)and Lake of the Woods (many).  

What you're looking for in terms of accommodations, what species of fish you'd prefer and whether numbers or a chance at trophies is more important might help folks with recommendations. 

I gotta say I'm leaning Onamons or Red Rock after doing a bit of research.  Late May to early June.

1 hour ago, JohnnyBravo923 said:

Where do the barb less single hook rules come into effect?  Just Nipigon Lake, or all the feeder rivers that lead to it as well?

Nipigon rules are in effect up to the first set of falls on any river that flows into it.. the lake has quite a few rules that only apply on Nipigon. I would love to fish some of the lakes on the islands.. its truly a unique place 

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2022 at 6:45 PM, JohnnyBravo923 said:

I gotta say I'm leaning Onamons or Red Rock after doing a bit of research.  Late May to early June.

Extended closed walleye season on Nip..  You won't be fishing walleye in May.     Make sure to read the regs, that lake is extremely strict and the MNR is out there.

Edited by BillM
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, JohnnyBravo923 said:

Oh.  Good call.  I hadn't thought of that.  Thanks.

I'd honestly pick a different lake.   It's not easy, a flyin would be easier lol.   Chapleau area is known for great walleye fishing and an easy drive.   

On 9/25/2022 at 6:45 PM, JohnnyBravo923 said:

Bauer's on Onaman is a fly-in, unless you are talking about Pasha Lake Cabins? They do have boats cached there (and many other lakes).

A couple more worth looking at on Caribou Lake just north of Armstrong.

https://www.forrestlodge.com/

http://www.cariboulakelodge.com/

https://www.bearpawlodge.net/

Edited by adempsey