Bowfin

16 Footer

My son caught a bowfin in a shallow weedy lake north of Orillia. I have never seem one and did not know they existed in Ontario. The fish was re least.

The bowfin  has existed since primordial times. It is part of the Amiidae family and is the only living representative of the order Amiiformes, which is traced back to Jurassic times. Bowfin fish are often referred to as a “living fossil.” 

IMG_20220918_093018.jpg

When my son was little I took him to a spot near Orillia on Simcoe where we caught catfish in the spring. One day walking the bank of the creek  I saw a bowfin...didn't know what it was then either... sunning itself right beside the bank in 1-2 feet of water. Took a fishing rod rigged with a worm and dangled it right on the bowfins nose. Well he inhaled it and I handed the rod to my son for him to enjoy the fight. He enjoyed it so much we pretty much stopped fishing for catfish and just walked the bank sight fishing bowfin. Until the water warmed up and the bowfins disappeared we where there every spring. 

10 minutes ago, Podric said:

Look at the picture in the original post.

Exactly my question…you are either encouraging the behaviour? Or are being sarcastic, which unfortunately does not translate over plain text.

may want to clarify with an emoji? Or leave it as is if you want it interpreted the same way I did.

22 hours ago, Beans said:

Just as I never knew Crappie were called Crappie until I saw a picture in a magazine...We were told they were Calico Bass...Bowfin we were told were Dogfish or 

Just to clarify...Bowfin and Burbot are completely different species. Bowfin are a warm water fish usually found in shallow weedy water, while Burbot are cold water fish usually found deep.

Yes, Bowfin are commonly called Dogfish, and Burbot are called a number of names depending on the region...Ling, Eelpout, Lawyerfish.

Burbot are great eating...they're also known as "Freshwater Cod"...sweet, white flaky meat. I often catch them incidently ice fishing for Walleye or Lake Trout/Whitefish...they make for a delicious meal of fish and chips.

IMG_20190127_122635.jpg

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Beans said:

Many moons ago, ice fishing on Lake Simcoe most people left them on the ice for the farmer that raised mink in the area...I only tried eating one once...was like chewing on rubber...LOL

Lol....not sure how you cooked it, but I'm not the only one who likes them...this is c&p from Tastilicious:

The burbot is a white fish with a mild flavor and a subtle sweet undertone, resembling haddock or cod. Its texture is firm and buttery with tender white flakes. Burbots don’t have any bones, which makes eating them easier and more enjoyable. It is an excellent fish for kids thanks to its combination of mild flavor and boneless meat.

22 minutes ago, Podric said:

The one in the original picture is a bowfin though???  Beady eyes, strips on the tale, short snout, stubby enough tale.  

??????????

Yes, original photo is a Bowfin. I just wanted to clarify the different species, as one of the posts stated:

"Bowfin we were told were Dogfish or Burbot or Ling..."

The one I caught in Frenchman's Bay near the little bridge in open water was a more greenier color...The ling I ate was from Lady Simcoe... I was told it was like poor man's lobster so I gave it a try...can't remember if I cooked it or my first wife R.I.P.

Edited by Beans

17 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

Over the years we caught a few of them at Pointe Au Baril, all except 1 were caught in shallow weedy areas and were 6-8 pounds. One of my buddies got 1 in 16 - 18 feet of water that was pushing 20 pounds, it was a tank!

That must have been one hell of a fight.