Had a blast yesterday!

ckewley

Not a fishing tale but a whole lot of fun for sure! Being new to hunting, it has opened a whole new world to me. Part of this is stewardship, not something I really understood, still don't in some cases however when it comes to the Cormorant population/problem, it really can't be ignored. As a fisherman I did notice their destruction yet never really paid attention to it but seeing it now through a hunters eyes, man, yes this is something I can get behind. There is literally 10's of thousands of them (maybe a slight exaggeration) on Lake Simcoe and Cooks Bay has a metric crap ton of them for sure. Honestly never thought I'd get behind culling, but here I am! Not going to lie had one hell of a great time. My buddy knows a farmer that takes them, believe for fertiliser.  Also noticed what tends to be a lack of knowledge on some hunters parts of what is open right now! I've been out twice since Goose opener, and while I haven't noticed any ducks being shot, you definitely know some of them were shot at, even hearing duck calls out there. Good thing is I have seen the CO at one of the launches so if anyone does stray from the regs hope they get caught. 

Also got my first goose, that was fun.   

IMG_20220915_183453_01.jpg.6e36c9f1a6f21023de31e109ace3af79.jpg

Edited by ckewley
  • Like 10

good practice for duck season indeed. My take on the cull is there has to be some form of use for the birds, the problem might be that we end up with a lot of rotting birds from guys that shoot and just leave them. Which then brings about disease and other issues.

Kudos to you for being a good steward and actually following the rules. Guys calling ducks and shooting at them out of season shouldnt be hard to figure out, its not like shotgun shots are quiet. The problem is that there may not be enough CO's to keep this kinda garbage from happening, just as it always is.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, akaShag said:

Without question, Ontario does not have nearly enough COs.

Doug

How true and sad this is. The money brought in for lic, it is insanely gross. The lack of  enforcement we have for fish and game is brutal . I think those that get a free pass for age 65,should still pay 1/2 price of tags. There, I said it, and will do the same when it is my time. We all enjoy, so atleast pay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, misfish said:

How true and sad this is. The money brought in for lic, it is insanely gross. The lack of  enforcement we have for fish and game is brutal . I think those that get a free pass for age 65,should still pay 1/2 price of tags. There, I said it, and will do the same when it is my time. We all enjoy, so atleast pay.

I am over 65 and don't disagree with you.  But the provincial governments of all parties have treated licence revenue as the main funding source for wildlife and fish programs.  It is high time that they put some serious general revenue cash into these programs like they do with every other provincial ministry.

Sorry for the hijack............

• Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 8:06 PM, akaShag said:

I am over 65 and don't disagree with you.  But the provincial governments of all parties have treated licence revenue as the main funding source for wildlife and fish programs.  It is high time that they put some serious general revenue cash into these programs like they do with every other provincial ministry.

Sorry for the hijack............

No need to apologise, hijack away! I happen to agree whole heartily on the licence stance. Speaking of revenue did we ever find out what happened to the missing...I believe it was 3 million (sorry tried to look it up to be correct, can't find a thing) from the MNR  that nobody could find from 5-6 years ago? It may have been found, I truly don't know but its discussions like this that made me remember that little titbit. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/21/2022 at 5:14 PM, misfish said:

Brian, in two years, my turn comes up to not have to pay license fees for fishing. If i had any re-assurance that my money was going to MNR, I would have no issues paying anyways. Unfortunately, i doubt they see very much of our license fees. Absolutely pathetic!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...