Suzuki outboards

Northerner1212

Used a 25hp electric start Suzuki  tiller in a deep and wide 14 tinner for a week at a cottage I rented earlier this summer. Even with a max load (water access ferrying in all our gear in 1 trip) the motor would fly. Never had a problem and started every morning with a push of a button. Even with two of us in the boat had to put a cinder block on the bow to even the weight and get us on plane in a couple seconds. Great motor all around. Would definitely recommend.

edit to add: was great on fuel. We’d make the 14km trip out to GBay a couple times that week and the boat was used mostly back trolling for eyes 6-8hrs a day for 6 days, only refuelled once all week. 

Edited by Reef Runner
  • Like 1

I have a 2017 Suzuki dumb ass 90 tiller.  It was purchased used with my boat and has not caused my a single issue.  Fuel economy is excellent and mine has the troll down feature which increases or decreases RPM in 100 rpm increments.  I don't use that feature much since I have a kicker (also a Suzuki).  Love the tiller!

I had a 50 hp Johnson that apparently was made by Suzuki (now owned by another member here) and it was great the whole time I had it. When I bought my next boat I would absolutely have purchased a Suzuki but the dealer only had Yamaha and Merc. So I now own a Yamaha which has also been excellent

23 hours ago, Northerner1212 said:

I’m currently thinking of ordering a 50hp Suzuki tiller handle for my 16ft princecraft has anyone had experience with Suzuki outboards if so what are your thoughts on them 

thanks 

I bought two 9.9 suzukis in 2018 for my camp. Initially I thought they were the lightest 9.9 on the market which it was prior to these new efi's which are now the heaviest. Motors work fine, great on fuel but the bottom ends are as fragile as fine China. They certainly haven't served me well at all.

I bought a used Suzuki DF6 at a decent price that I intend to use for trolling and as an emergency backup. I haven't used it much yet and it took me a while to get it running right. But it seems to purr like a kitten now, once I found a tiny speck of dirt in one of the jets that I located only after taking apart the carb a couple of times.

I do agree that parts can be a little tough to source, as Suzuki dealers seem few and far between compared to some of the other brands. Even Amazon doesn't carry as many Suzuki compatible parts as other brands. 

As a result, if I were to buy new and the prices were similar, I would likely pick a different brand. Something with more dealers (especially locally) and more parts availability.

I have a 2009 DF140 that has served me very well.  I’ve never had an issue with it and it starts instantly no matter the temperature.  I also have a 2002 DF15 on one of the boats at our camp.  I bought it 3rd hand and I believe it’s seen a lot of hours and It’s still humming along at 20 years old and doesn’t seem to miss a beat.  In my opinion you can’t go wrong!

Edited by porkpie
  • Like 2