Basic Tackle

RookieReeler17

Hey All,

I’ll be spending 9 days up in Lake Superior Provincial park - Sault Ste. Marie. Im looking to “dumb down” my tackle box … Im used to trolling or catching cat fish on a worm/hook. 

Im looking for advice what I should bring. I’ll be bringing a medium rod … species are: pike, trout, walleye + bass and probably more. 

I don’t want to bring a full box just a few lures that are basic and should be fine to use. Any tips/advice would be appreciated. I inherited a crap ton of lures so I have a lot to pick from. Thanks 

I've fished in LSPP many times over the years...mostly the tributaries in the spring and late fall for Steelhead. The Pancake R, Speckled Trout Cr, Agawa R, Sand R, and Old Woman R...all get runs of migratory Salmonids. A little early for Steelhead but you should run into Pink Salmon this time of year.

This is Trout Country. Most of these tribs also have resident Brook Trout (some even migratory Coasters). There are trails that run off hwy 17...the further you hike in, the better the fishing. 

You can catch Pinks and Speckles on small spinners and spoons, or trout beads under a float...or even just a worm. The Pinks also like green or pink gaudy flies and jigs.

Most of the lakes in the Park have just Lake Trout and Speckles...a few with Pike. Never really ran into Bass or Walleye. The Trout in the lakes will be deep this time of year...I'd focus on the rivers and creeks.

Enjoy...it's a beautiful part of the Province...lots of wildlife, beautiful (cold) beaches, unbelievable sunsets, and the best scenery this side of the Rockies..

Edited by CrowMan

11 hours ago, CrowMan said:

I've fished in LSPP many times over the years...mostly the tributaries in the spring and late fall for Steelhead. The Pancake R, Speckled Trout Cr, Agawa R, Sand R, and Old Woman R...all get runs of migratory Salmonids. A little early for Steelhead but you should run into Pink Salmon this time of year.

This is Trout Country. Most of these tribs also have resident Brook Trout (some even migratory Coasters). There are trails that run off hwy 17...the further you hike in, the better the fishing. 

You can catch Pinks and Speckles on small spinners and spoons, or trout beads under a float...or even just a worm. The Pinks also like green or pink gaudy flies and jigs.

Most of the lakes in the Park have just Lake Trout and Speckles...a few with Pike. Never really ran into Bass or Walleye. The Trout in the lakes will be deep this time of year...I'd focus on the rivers and creeks.

Enjoy...it's a beautiful part of the Province...lots of wildlife, beautiful (cold) beaches, unbelievable sunsets, and the best scenery this side of the Rockies..

Thanks for the lengthy response I appreciate it. So basically I’m just going to pack some spoons 1/8-1/4 size mixed colours mainly organ but throw some green in.  I have some twister tails some jigs too. I’m very familiar with the area I just never got into fishing, just hunting.