Wood Chips and Cork Dust

Spiel

Well I thought I'd share something fresh out of the shop this morning. This rod will soon be heading to BC to battle Saltwater Steelies on the Skeena watershed.
I honestly have not been grinding builds out of the shop for years now, just a handful each year and my friend has been patiently waiting over three years for me to get this one under construction. His desire was for me to use a beautiful piece of stabilized Juniper burl but it was not cooperating with me, it kept chipping out so I convinced him into going with a piece of Big Leaf Maple burl. He liked it very much, I hope y'all do as well. Happy Saturday Folks, time to wind guides.  ;)

Preston seamless 4.jpg

Preston seamless 5.jpg

Preston seamless 6.jpg

Preston seamless 7.jpg

Preston seamless 8.jpg

• Like 8

That's some pretty workmanship, sir. 

Question about the juniper burl, Can you do the turning with an aggressive sandpaper on the lathe? Or is the shearing action of the chisel important for the final finish? 

On 8/23/2022 at 8:06 AM, HTHM said:

That's some pretty workmanship, sir. 

Question about the juniper burl, Can you do the turning with an aggressive sandpaper on the lathe? Or is the shearing action of the chisel important for the final finish? 

I use a metal lathe Albert for consistent accuracy and while I do sand to for a clean surface before finishing sanding the parts to shape would be incredibly laborious. The "chip out" issue was at the stage of inletting the parts to conceal the front aluminum reel foot hood. You can see how thin it gets in these images.

20200507_161009.jpg

20200508_140758.jpg

20200508_141812.jpg

Momo2.jpg