Minn Kota Terrova 55 or 80?

duke2555

Upgrading from a Minn Kota Powerdrive 45lb trolling motor and looking at a Terrova 55lb 12v or a Terrova 80lb 24v with iPilot

I have a LUND 1625 FURY XL SC and am deciding between the 55lb and the 80lb Terrova...I have a 45lb Powerdrive right now and I def want to go bigger, but not sure if the 80lb would be too much for my boat. The price diff between the 55lb and the 80lb is not much, the biggest thing is the 12v one battery vs the 24v two batteries...my battery compartment at the bow for the trolling motor has a holder for the battery, but I think it is just for a single battery, although there is room for two batteries in the compartment.

thoughts?

I owned a very similar boat before getting  my 18 footer, mine was slightly  narrower but similar draft etc.. A 55lb will throw it around just fine.  I could spot lock in Detroit river current with no trouble, and wind caused me no grief.  If your primarily a troller though, and constantly use the Minn kota as auto pilot, I recommend the 80lb thrust. The one problem I had was I destroyed batteries when only running off the one.  Even with the biggest battery I could stuff in the compartment, they didn’t last as long as the performance I’m getting running 2, and the battery suffered for it.  For general bass fishing, jigging, perch fishing and other stuff, you’ll be good to go with a 55.

Edited by porkpie