Add a wood transom?

Rizzo

I have a 12 foot aluminum with a 8 hp motor. The motor sits directly on smooth aluminum (no lips, no ledges etc). Should I add a wood transom to this set up? When I boat I always make sure the motor has not started to slip/shift. However, I do let others use the boat and they probably would not pay as much attention to whether the motor is secure or if it is slowly slipping and about to fall off. Bolting the motor on is not an option I am considering because it is constantly off and on the boat. I figure the wood from the transom would provide more grip and the motor would be more secure. Or is the motor directly on the aluminum with no lips etc perfectly safe?

When you are using it does it come loose? 
the clamps always needed checking on my boats with wood.  So i don’t think that will solve your problem. 

Put a note on the motor to keep the clamps tight.  

a python adjustable cable  lock is a quick way to make sure your motor doesn’t go to bottom.  

• Like 1

sorry no pics was up at the cottage yesterday and didnt see this message til now. The transom is 1.5 to 2 inch wide. I bought a metal piece to bolt it on (approx 8 inches wide and 1 inch tall couple mms thick). It was too close to where the clamps are I figured once I was measuring it out. Back to hardware store and bought a narrower angle bracket and had buddy flatten it out in a vice. When I laid that once out to look at it then I didn't like where the bolts would be going through. So...I took some rope and tied the motor on to the boat instead. A bit ghetto but will do for the next week as I let a friend borrow it!

15 hours ago, porkpie said:

get a piece of ratchet strap materiel, tie it off to the outboard and then tie it off to one of the rear handles.  If it goes over at least you'll still have the motor attached to the boat.  I do this on my smaller boat. 

this is basically what I have done, but the tie off point is directly below where the clamps are. The bracing down by the floor at the back of the boat conveniently has an opening in it). Should prevent the motor from sliding upwards. But instead of ratchet strap I got me some old fashioned rope that was lying around