Battery set up for your boat - what are you using?

siwash

Those of you following my recent posts may know I recently bought a 16' boat and 25 HP motor.  So far I've gotten away with a lawn tractor 12 V battery, which is basically used only to crank start a cold motor if I am not mistaken. I also have a 55lbs thrust electric trolling motor that I have not yet used and will be using my fish finder regularly. I realize that when I do use the trolling motor, it will draw a lot from that little battery (the finder probably a lot less).  In my case, where I am basically starting a motor, running a trolling motor (occasionally) and fish finder (regularily), what is the best option for an all around battery or should I get a deep cycle battery for this setup/application in addition to a cranking battery?  I'd rather keep it to one battery.  Can I cold start of a deep cycle so I can keep it to one battery?  What options should I consider?

Thanks! 

Edited by siwash

I use one deep cycle group 27 to run everything in the boat, lights, radio, fish finder and downriggers. I've got an F40 yamaha and it charges the battery while running.  If I was to add an electric trolling motor,  I would most likely add another deep cycle just for that.

• Like 1

Thanks. So you also use that deep cycle to start the motor? I only have the trolling motor and fishfinder in terms of electronics.  I wonder if a group 27 is adequate for this two things ? I always thought a deep ccle marine was for electrical components only.  

you dont want your trolling motor running on your starting battery, nor do you want your marine electronics running on the same battery as your trolling motor.

I would run a couple of nautilus group 27 agm's from canadian tire and call it a day.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

you dont want your trolling motor running on your starting battery, nor do you want your marine electronics running on the same battery as your trolling motor.

I would run a couple of nautilus group 27 agm's from canadian tire and call it a day.

Thanks Akrisoner. But if I'm running the finder off of one battery and and the trolling motor off another, what am I starting the motor with? And are the nautilus batteries from CTC deep cycle? Thanks. 

7 minutes ago, siwash said:

Thanks Akrisoner. But if I'm running the finder off of one battery and and the trolling motor off another, what am I starting the motor with? And are the nautilus batteries from CTC deep cycle? Thanks. 

your electronics battery is your starting battery. Hence you want enough juice to do both. A group 27 easily provides that. If you are really hardcore running livescope and 3 units, livewells for 13 hours all day and trying to turn over a 200+hp engine you need a group 31.

AGM batteries are a different tech, they provide huge reserve capacity and big time cold cranking amps. The best of both worlds. The Canadian Tire Nautilus AGM batteries are made by east penn deka battery...they are the absolute top of the line battery you can buy with a really great price and warranty.

For reference on my skeeter last year due to space limitations I was tournament fishing running livescope two 9 inch garmins a helix 7 and livewells with the xd group 27...did multiple 13 hour days like that without issue.

Heres a thread explaining my entire journey researching batteries at the end I explain my findings about Canadian Tire AGM's

Edited by AKRISONER

Okay so I guess the motor and the finder (finder drawing little power) on one of those nautilus batteries and the trolling motor on another nautilus... got it. Just checked the prices. Not cheap. I'll be adding $700 for both batteries to my setup. 

3 hours ago, siwash said:

Okay so I guess the motor and the finder (finder drawing little power) on one of those nautilus batteries and the trolling motor on another nautilus... got it. Just checked the prices. Not cheap. I'll be adding $700 for both batteries to my setup. 

Unless your planning on running some huge honking sonar, just get you a couple of costco or walmart deep cycles.  Walmart used to stock group 29's.  Prices aren't terrible and they'll serve your purposes just fine!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, porkpie said:

Unless your planning on running some huge honking sonar, just get you a couple of costco or walmart deep cycles.  Walmart used to stock group 29's.  Prices aren't terrible and they'll serve your purposes just fine!

Tru... I've got a basic machine as you've all probably figured.  16' utility  boat with bench seats a 55lbs thrust clamp on troller and just and average finder that I picked up at a garage sale  (although is practically new). I'm just trying not to get stranded on the water! 

I run a 55lb trolling motor off 1 group 24 battery.   I was going to step up to a 27, but I couldn't justify the weight penalty  ( pick up both, you will see what I mean)  mind you, my trolling motor and battery are in the bow.   It goes all day on a 24. I have an additional cranking battery in the back for the gas motor and fish finder.

You can get a starting/deep cycle combination marine battery from CTC ( 010-2499-8).. you will want a deep cycle for the trolling motor, and a starting battery for the gas engine.  Each type of battery is meant to discharge and recharge differently.  You could keep your tractor battery for starting, and just get a pure deep cycle for the trolling motor (010-2492-2)

Don't count on the outboard to charge the trolling motor battery as the charging system is very small ( approximately 4 amps at wide open throttle) so you will have to hook up a battery charger after each fishing trip so the battery is 100% for the next outing.

45 minutes ago, GYPSY400 said:

I run a 55lb trolling motor off 1 group 24 battery.   I was going to step up to a 27, but I couldn't justify the weight penalty  ( pick up both, you will see what I mean)  mind you, my trolling motor and battery are in the bow.   It goes all day on a 24. I have an additional cranking battery in the back for the gas motor and fish finder.

You can get a starting/deep cycle combination marine battery from CTC ( 010-2499-8).. you will want a deep cycle for the trolling motor, and a starting battery for the gas engine.  Each type of battery is meant to discharge and recharge differently.  You could keep your tractor battery for starting, and just get a pure deep cycle for the trolling motor (010-2492-2)

Don't count on the outboard to charge the trolling motor battery as the charging system is very small ( approximately 4 amps at wide open throttle) so you will have to hook up a battery charger after each fishing trip so the battery is 100% for the next outing.

Great info, Gypsy400!  Price point is great on that battery you quoted at CTC.  If I keep the tractor battery for starting, could I run the finder off of it all day long and expect to still crank the engine? Or will that drain it?  I am assuming a finder draws little power.  Or, if I do keep the tractor battery as my gas starter, can I get away with hooking up the finder to 24 Nautilus you quoted with the troller?  I'd like to avoid buying too many batteries and trying to at least keep that tractor battery in use.  

Another option is to buy 2 of those 24 Nautilus and scrap the tractor battery.  I could then run the motor and finder off of one  and the troller off the other.  Is that the best option if I am trying to maximize the the power of the batteries if I were to go on overnight fishing trips?  I ask because we are planning a 2 night (Friday to Sunday) trip this weekend.  My goal is to be able to run the troller, finder and still have juice left to start the motor by Sunday.   In this scenario, which of the above should I go with?  I am not going to be running the trolling motor constantly - maybe 2 to 3 hours max per day (I like to drift fish and/or anchor a fair bit).  

Thanks again! Great help so far from all.. 

p.s.  I am wondering if I should consider a solar panel to maintain the batteries? I see them on amazon for under $75

Edited by siwash

7 hours ago, siwash said:

p.s.  I am wondering if I should consider a solar panel to maintain the batteries? I see them on amazon for under $75

Unless you can't get an extension cord to the boat batteries wherever it's parked, then you need at least a 150watt panel to do any good.  If you're parked at home or cottage, get a good charger that charges and maintains.  Take the batteries out for the off season and put them on the charger/maintainer at home.

Ok here people; the guy's original question was what do I need to make what I have work for a day of fishing. Some here ae trying to outfit him for a tournament. LOL Doing what you asked is very simple. Get yourself a couple of group 24 or 27 deep cycle batteries. Maybe one that is classed as a start/deep cycle (Battery Bull? I don't know). Hook both batteries to a combination switch.

81yibii8tTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This will allow you to separate the batteries from each other or connect them together, if you run the starting motor low with your electronics (fish/depth or whatever finder) low. you'll have the trolling motor battery in reserve or vice a versa? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, siwash said:

Great info, Gypsy400!  Price point is great on that battery you quoted at CTC.  If I keep the tractor battery for starting, could I run the finder off of it all day long and expect to still crank the engine? Or will that drain it?  I am assuming a finder draws little power.  Or, if I do keep the tractor battery as my gas starter, can I get away with hooking up the finder to 24 Nautilus you quoted with the troller?  I'd like to avoid buying too many batteries and trying to at least keep that tractor battery in use.  

Another option is to buy 2 of those 24 Nautilus and scrap the tractor battery.  I could then run the motor and finder off of one  and the troller off the other.  Is that the best option if I am trying to maximize the the power of the batteries if I were to go on overnight fishing trips?  I ask because we are planning a 2 night (Friday to Sunday) trip this weekend.  My goal is to be able to run the troller, finder and still have juice left to start the motor by Sunday.   In this scenario, which of the above should I go with?  I am not going to be running the trolling motor constantly - maybe 2 to 3 hours max per day (I like to drift fish and/or anchor a fair bit).  

Thanks again! Great help so far from all.. 

You can run the fish finder off either battery,  it draws hardly any power... but id run it off the tractor battery if it were me.

I'd keep the tractor battery for this year and buy a 24 or 27 for the TM.. I go all day on a 24, but I rarely go out for 2 days without charging so you might justify the extra capacity of the 27 ( keepnin mind the extra weight).  A solar panel will get you a bit of charge but not much ( pretty much an hour on solar will give you maybe 5 minutes of TM)  Any chance you can hook to a generator on your trip to charge the battery in the evening? Most generators have a 12v circuit.

Worst case ontario if the battery for the gas engine goes flat you still have the pull start.

Edited by GYPSY400
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GYPSY400 said:

You can run the fish finder off either battery,  it draws hardly any power... but id run it off the tractor battery if it were me.

I'd keep the tractor battery for this year and buy a 24 or 27 for the TM.. I go all day on a 24, but I rarely go out for 2 days without charging so you might justify the extra capacity of the 27 ( keepnin mind the extra weight).  A solar panel will get you a bit of charge but not much ( pretty much an hour on solar will give you maybe 5 minutes of TM)  Any chance you can hook to a generator on your trip to charge the battery in the evening? Most generators have a 12v circuit.

Worst case ontario if the battery for the gas engine goes flat you still have the pull start.

Yes, I've learned to rope start that motor already, and it was easier than I thought. I think  I'm going to stick to the set up you've suggested. Maybe the 27 will give me an extra day...  We won't be able to charge as we are going to a boat access camping site along the Magnetewan, launching from Harris Lake... that's the plan, anyhow! 

Thanks!

P.S. looked up CTC batteries again, and came across this option to use as a starting battery and run my finder too. It gives me more cranking amps (probably not important) but it's a 24 and it has 90 minutes of reserve capacity - would this not ensure that I am not going to run out if I am using the finder constantly for the 3 days? I would then use a 24 or 27 for the TM. 

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-nautilus-group-size-24-starting-battery-675-mca-0102493p.html?loc=plp

Edited by siwash

8 hours ago, GYPSY400 said:

You don’t want to run your electronics with your trolling motor battery you are going to experience massive interference effectively wasting the investment you make in your electronics.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

You don’t want to run your electronics with your trolling motor battery you are going to experience massive interference effectively wasting the investment you make in your electronics.

That is very possible,  although I've never experienced it.. I also have a fish finder running off my bow mount TM with the transducer mounted on the lower unit and it seems to work fine.

2 hours ago, GYPSY400 said:

That is very possible,  although I've never experienced it.. I also have a fish finder running off my bow mount TM with the transducer mounted on the lower unit and it seems to work fine.

I was gonna ask you guys about that.  My TM is a clamp on. I intend to mount it off the stern (port side). If my transducer is positioned in that area, will the TM interfere with the readings/signal?

I'm heading up to cabelas in the morning. They are holding a Basspro group 27 deep cycle for me. I forgot I had a gift certificate for that place! Bonus...   I've decided that that will be my TM battery. I will either stick to the  tractor battery for a cranking source and run my depth finder off of it too or maybe get myself a dual purpose battery (24?) for the main motor/finder. If I ever set up lights I can use that battery for that. I'll keep the  TM on its own battery since it seems to be the big energy eater 

Edited by siwash

16 minutes ago, siwash said:

I was gonna ask you guys about that.  My TM is a clamp on. I intend to mount it off the stern (port side). If my transducer is positioned in that area, will the TM interfere with the readings/signal?

I'm heading up to cabelas in the morning. They are holding a Basspro group 27 deep cycle for me. I forgot I had a gift certificate for that place! Bonus...   I've decided that that will be my TM battery. I will either stick to the  tractor battery for a cranking source and run my depth finder off of it too or maybe get myself a dual purpose battery (24?) for the main motor/finder. If I ever set up lights I can use that battery for that. I'll keep the  TM on its own battery since it seems to be the big energy eater 

You’ll be fine, consider the fact that all new trolling motors come with a transducer literally mounted on the head of the trolling motor. The interference is caused by electrical pulses…for example by having your trolling motor on the same battery, you will see the draw of the trolling motor on your electronics. No different than when people hook their electronics to their boats terminal bus, your lights livewells etc will project interference. 

although gypsy says he doesn’t see it, he may not even know what he’s looking for, or have electronics sensitive enough that it’s noticeable. I can assure you, there’s a very noted difference between high end electronics that are installed correctly vs not.

I’ll tell you right now, you won’t find a single guy that’s running $10,000+ worth of electronics on their boat with the electronics hooked to their trolling motor battery.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Thanks 1

Clean power runs for all electronics! It’s the only way! You can run a really heavy guage run to a shut off and then run your lines off of that but you want that run to be for electronics only!

a tip for siwash, get yourself a resettable breaker for your trolling motor off of Amazon. Bass pro sells identical ones for literally 3x the price.

marine grade wire and marine grade terminal ends only! Corrosion is a disaster in the marine environment and is impossible to stop. You would be blown away how fast raw copper corrodes. Tinned everything!

• Confused 1

Jeezus Christ this guy is hooking up a yard sale fish finder not setting up a tournament boat.  Siwash,  it’ll work either way you go. And if you do get some fuzz on your sonar, it’ll stop as soon as you turn off the trolling motor.  There is some over the top level advice getting tossed around on a budget tinner here!  

• Like 1