Position of motor - correct?

siwash

You need to do that fine tuning once your on the water depending on the weight. Of everything in the boat and the power of the motor you will want it tilted up for top speed but not too far that you can’t get up on plane  you will know pretty quick and a few adjustments will find the best spot

• Like 4

You are currently on the lowest trim setting.  Start there and test drive it alone with minimal gear- it will plane quickly ,but probably plow water.  Move up one hole at a time until the side spray is about 2/3 from the front of the boat and the bow doesn't porpoise (bounce).  If the bow porpoises, you've gone too high.  This will be a good setting once you add gear and passengers,  if alone go back down one hole.  From there you can fine tune by moving weight around.

I noticed, with 2 adult males and 2 kids, the boat didn't quite plane.. but it was choppy.  First time out on this motor. Ran well otherwise. Will try the suggestion to raise it one more notch and maybe two. First I'll try one then see how it goes. 

thanks 

1 hour ago, siwash said:

You know, I had no idea that the angle should be adjusted based on how many people/gear/weight  is in the boat... I wonder how many people do this? 

Just me in the boat and I'm vertical, add 2 people and I move the motor up a notch.

10 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

always go as high as you can that will still allow you to get out of the hole. Once on plane then you want as much bow lift as possible without cavitating. will take trying it with different loads and conditions to find the sweet spot.

I usually ran most every tinner with a tiller one hole out from as low as it will go, too much bow lift in a small tiller aluminum and you can't see where you are going

On 8/11/2022 at 8:30 PM, siwash said:

I noticed, with 2 adult males and 2 kids, the boat didn't quite plane.. but it was choppy.  First time out on this motor. Ran well otherwise. Will try the suggestion to raise it one more notch and maybe two. First I'll try one then see how it goes. 

thanks 

With small boats,  weight placement is a big factor.. if all 3 guests are in the very front , it will just plow.  If everyone sits in the back, it will just point at the sky and squat.  Even moving the gas tank towards the middle of the boat makes a difference.   Try it alone at first and figure out where it needs to be, then add balanced weight ( people) chances are you might have to go up 1 or 2 holes. You will also notice a difference depending on where people sit.