Outboard repair shop?

siwash

Hey folks, 

Recently bought engine is running fine but I want a mechanic to check out the impeller/water pump.  Does anyone know of a good, honest older outboard mechanic in Southern Simcoe County, Central/Northern York Region?  I am near Schomberg (but closer to the 400).  The motor is a 1979 Evinrude 25 HP. 

Thanks

On those older motors, does water piss out from exhaust as well as the side?  That's what seems to be happening which I find odd.  What comes out of exhaust is pretty warm, borderline hot... a lesser amount comes out of what appears to be a side port.  I need to see a diagram to confirm where that motor is supposed to spill its water. 

On 8/8/2022 at 10:32 PM, siwash said:

On those older motors, does water piss out from exhaust as well as the side?  That's what seems to be happening which I find odd.  What comes out of exhaust is pretty warm, borderline hot... a lesser amount comes out of what appears to be a side port.  I need to see a diagram to confirm where that motor is supposed to spill its water. 

Yes that is normal, the water coming out with the exhaust is meant the cool the muffler.

As long as it's peeing out the side at idle it will be fine for the rest of the year.. if it's intermittent or really weak at idle it needs to be done asap.  You can find videos on YouTube on how to do it for that model of motor - the hardest part is disconnecting the shift linkage ( I think there is an oval shaped plate for access)  .  Learn how to do it yourself and you will gain satisfaction and save money..  or buy a box of beer and invite one of you mechanical inclined friends over.

That's a good job for the off season, along with changing the foot oil and maybe a new set of spark plugs. 

Spend the extra money for OEM water pump and you'll be trouble free for 5 seasons.

Also run only Ethanol free fuel ( shell Vpower) to save on fuel system issues down the road