Short or long shaft?

siwash

It will run poorly because the thrust angle is off. It could put excessive pressure on the transom. It may or may not get on plane. You will draft deeper so it would be easier to strike rocks. For the most part I wouldn't do it. 

Art

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandyLinden said:

You have measured the engine correctly. (From the mounting bracket to the anti ventilation plate)

Short Shaft is 15"

Long Shaft is 20"

Extra Long Shaft is 25"

Extra Extra Long Shaft is 30"

So it is a 20" shaft, therefore long? 

Or.  Make boat transom higher. 

place engine on boat.  Mark holes for mounting engine on boat.  Drill out holes.  Buy two pieces of 1/4 stainless steel one for each side of transom that are high enough.   Fill void with wood.  Go fishing.  

• Like 1

If it’s convertible it will have a 5” section bolted in on the shaft. Just above cavitation plate.  

the jack plate idea is good but a 25 has some thrust.   So jackplate or build up transom.  It’s going to have to be strong.  
what hp is the boat rated for? (I’m thinking about how strong the transom is now). 

Yes that motor is a long shaft .. the motor will have another tag with the model  number.. should be something like J25RLxxx .   A jackplate is quicker and possibly cheaper, but a new transom would be beneficial for splash protection (backtrolling?) . after having both a short shaft and long shaft boats,  I don't want to go back to a short shaft.

Please provide a picture of your boat transom