Covid and the Border

JoePa

I called the number I had for the Canadian Customs to find out what the rules were if one wanted to travel to Ontario to go fishing for a couple days - well I got hooked up with a number of different sites that kept sending me to other sites - after it was all over I couldn't connect with anyone that could answer my simple question - does anyone know what is requited - I got vaccinated over a year ago but didn't get any boaster shots since then - what is needed - usually hit Canada about 5 times a year but haven't been there for over 2 years now - thanks - Joe

You will need proof of being DOUBLE vaccinated. The second dose must be a minimum of 14 days before you cross the border. You will also need to download the ArriveCan app,  fill it out, and upload doc's. Of course, you also need a valid passport.

This should help:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada

Edited by CrowMan
  • Like 2

Crowman is correct about using the Arrivecan app. Download the app on your phone. If you can't download the passport then just fill out the blanks. You can take a picture of your proof of vaccination and upload it.. When I returned to Canada from the US last week , they didn't even ask for my Arrivecan and I'm assuming that it's because they had all my info when they ran my passport through their system. Play safe and bring your paper copy of the proof of vaccination.

Here's the link to the Arrivecan app:     

https://arrivecan.cbsa-asfc.cloud-nuage.canada.ca/en/welcome

It's a lot simpler than it looks...as long as you're double vacc'ed. My buddy up at the cottage is from PA, he goes back and forth almost weekly...no sweat...and always brings me something from the Duty Free 😁

"Back to normal" could be a very long time. Never mind the constant mutations of this virus (and others...now it's coming from Curious George)...governments are very  quick to enact regulations, and very slow (if ever) to end them.

Edited by CrowMan
  • Like 1

2 shots of the J&J are good at least if the last one is more than 14 days old before you travel.  You still need that ArriveCan thing either a printed version with the letter  "A" "I" or "V" beside your name  or on your phone. I'm just the messenger, don't shoot me.  Here's a link: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#proof

Edited by Fisherman

1 hour ago, JoePa said:

The question I have is - I got the Johnson/Johnson shot over a year ago but haven't gotten any since - would that be enough - 

Yes.   The ArriveCan app is super simple.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/fully-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada-covid-19.html

Edited by BillM

1 hour ago, JoePa said:

The question I have is - I got the Johnson/Johnson shot over a year ago but haven't gotten any since - would that be enough - 

yes, a single shot of J&J is classified as "fully vaccinated"

The arrive canada App isnt that difficult to use. 

The Arrivecan app is a pain in the ass for Canadians returning home and is a total invasion of privacy for Canadian citizens especially seniors like myself who do not own a cellphone. Information was supposed to be erased after 48 hours after-entry and now they are looking to make it a permanent prerequisite to enter Canada for citizens and non. They say it is a good way to track the virus. We have been hoodwinked again folks

• Like 5

1 hour ago, wkrp said:

The Arrivecan app is a pain in the ass for Canadians returning home and is a total invasion of privacy for Canadian citizens especially seniors like myself who do not own a cellphone. Information was supposed to be erased after 48 hours after-entry and now they are looking to make it a permanent prerequisite to enter Canada for citizens and non. They say it is a good way to track the virus. We have been hoodwinked again folks

You can't provide paper copies of your vaccination in order to cross back into Canada?  

The ArriveCan app worked great when I traveled to London ON and back in late June early July. The hardest part was setting it up the first time around. After that it was super easy.

The border guards see your AriveCan info on the 'puter when they check your passport. The return trip I just had to put in the port and approximate date/time. 

Am heading to Alaska in September so I will get to do it all again.  But who cares!!! I'm going to Alaska to slay chrome!!! 😁

• Like 1

I cross regularly and the agents don't care about papers & paperwork. I've been told "I don't want to see it" several times as I had it in my hands.  Accurately complete the arrivecan app and you're good.  For a "quarantine plan" many people just enter a Canadian hotel.  I have "return home" as my plan.  They are still randomly handing out test kits you have to drop off at a courier (got one of those too once) but in 30 crossings it was only 1 time.  It's Minestry of Health, not the border agents.   Ontario believes they're in the 7th wave of Covid (CBC reporting as of 8-1-2022) 

On 8/2/2022 at 6:12 PM, wkrp said:

Not acceptable , Arrivecan only! Or you go to quarantine jail.

I know it sounds like doom and gloom, but here's a real life scenario, I crossed the land border during the border closed period in November of 2021. I was so excited about getting my new boat and being as organized as possible to get over the US border that I completely forgot to do the arrivecanada app upon my return with my new to me boat.

I was required to go in anyways to pay the taxes for the boat importation, the agent asked about my use of the app and i explained that I had totally forgotten but literally had my negative PCR test and vaccine receipts with my passport, I ended up getting "randomly selected" to get a covid test upon arrival (at no cost to me except my time)

It wasnt that big of a deal. 

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, wkrp said:

I just don't understand how a government can mandate travellers to travel with an electronic device in order to enter Canada. Next thing will be implanted chips in the head.

They can't force you to have a smart phone.  You can upload your proof of vaccs to the Arrivecan website and print off a paper copy no earlier than 3 days before returning to Canada.