Canoe trolling question. Line

gordy28

Managed to head out for a 1 night let last weekend. 
this was my first time trolling in a canoe using a clamp on rod holder(Scotty) as previous trips I just held it

After trolling and casting from shore my line was knotting like crazy.  Has never happened before so fairly certain it was from the vibration of the lure while in the rod holder.   Rods were set fairly high and was using 15 power pro on a spinning set up and lure clipper on via a snap swivel, no bearings 
So.  Anyone else have this issue?    Fix is using different line?   Positioning the rod lower so it’s almost parallel with the water?   Use a swivel with the barrel?

thanks in advance for any tips

Andrew 

Buy torpedo snap swivels, the smallest size they have.  They are remarkably strong.  Run one in front of your lure when trolling if you use spinny lures. Power pro won’t cause line twist.  You won’t regret it!

Edited by porkpie
  • Thanks 1

Never trolled out of a canoe, but that, the rod holders or line shouldn't have much effect on line twist, line type, diameter can affect trolling depth. Some crank baits need to be tuned to get them to run well, and some seem more susceptible to damage that affects their running properly.

The old storm hot n tots metal bill could break loose from the plastic and get water inside making them spin, and if you have 100 - 150 feet of line out? by the time you notice you have line twist.

• Thanks 1