Electric vs manual start?

siwash

I'm looking at two engines. Both early 80s models and both OMCs and equal hp.  

The electric start is $250 more (without tank and hose). The manual comes with tank/hose. Is the electric start worth the extra money? Do they tend to break down and require more repair? Less reliable? I'm just thinking manual might be more reliable because there's less to break down. Electric is nice and convenient though.  Thoughts?

Thanks 

The bigger the hp the more you want electric start

electric start should have a charging system to charge your battery which can be a big bonus 

and it will have a manual start capability if your battery dies 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, siwash said:

Thanks guys. Guess the extra money is worth it. The charging option alone is great

worth every penny!  And as somebody noted, there is probably a manual start you can use if things go pear-shaped.

Doug

I'd definitely go with electric start on an old motor like that.. but it might not have charging system, you will have to check with a meter.  I have a 25 from the 70's, has electric start, but no charging... you only get 4 amps at 5000rpm anyway.

12 minutes ago, GYPSY400 said:

I'd definitely go with electric start on an old motor like that.. but it might not have charging system, you will have to check with a meter.  I have a 25 from the 70's, has electric start, but no charging... you only get 4 amps at 5000rpm anyway.

Good to know... 

Well I hope It does have a charging system... here is a pic of the motor I am going to pick up soon:

Also, when it comes to tanks I know that metal tanks have that classic durability to them but some of the used ones I've shopped for online seem to have surface rust in many cases. I'm concerned that rust might be internal as well. I came across this plastic tank that seller has a fuel line for a merc but says I could switch out the line for an omc and it should be compatible with the Evinrude. Here's the pic of the tank. Is it a compatible tank as long as I get the right fuel line? Thanks for the help, guys! 

BFF884FB-156A-499A-BA6F-817534038AC5.jpeg

8C18C2B7-BA16-4CBC-814F-4315D0E36575.jpeg

011B7B27-FFE0-4F71-9F0E-BFB50799CD1F.jpeg

Edited by siwash

YES! Get a plastic tank!! Don't even consider a used metal tank!!!!

You can use whatever you want on the tank side or even put a barb to 1/4npt connector and permanently mount the hose to the tank ( one less failure point) .

If you must disconnect the hose from the tank, the best connector is an Attwood universal spray-less connector.  Part number 8838TM6

15 minutes ago, GYPSY400 said:

YES! Get a plastic tank!! Don't even consider a used metal tank!!!!

You can use whatever you want on the tank side or even put a barb to 1/4npt connector and permanently mount the hose to the tank ( one less failure point) .

If you must disconnect the hose from the tank, the best connector is an Attwood universal spray-less connector.  Part number 8838TM6

Great info, thanks!