Help determining rod wt

Craig Ward

Old enough to remember before the weight classification we used letters for fly line sizes.  Size A would be a thick heavy line and H was a light line. A 6 weight double taper would be called like a  HEH and a weight forward suitable for bass bugs would be like a GAF , probably close to an 8 wt. today, any letters like that on it ?  edit: quick search found this   image.png.79c436456c5a7239b8d9500d7c2081cb.png

Edited by dave524

2 hours ago, Craig Ward said:

63647L are the only numbers on it.

any letters like HCH or HDH ? those are the line designation if it was built pre 1960 or so

could be a 4 or 5 wt looking at this as long as the " Popular " model was made in only 1 line class https://www.traditionalfisherman.com/viewtopic.php?t=5685

Edited by dave524

Nope, those are the only numbers. 

I've been casting it with a vintage Battenkill 5/6 reel, and it seems to cast very nice, but I'm a rank beginner. I cast better with it than I do with my carbon fiber rod, but I do get the occasional wind knot forming. How do I stop that?

10 hours ago, Craig Ward said:

Nope, those are the only numbers. 

I've been casting it with a vintage Battenkill 5/6 reel, and it seems to cast very nice, but I'm a rank beginner. I cast better with it than I do with my carbon fiber rod, but I do get the occasional wind knot forming. How do I stop that?

Timing, wait for the tug when you backcast before bringing it forward.  The vintage Battenkill is a very appropriate matchup if it is the rod in the link I posted, they mentioned in that link it is a slow or moderate action which is easier to cast with than the fast action carbon rods