Summer Road Trip Suggestions please

fishdawg

This Summers trip takes our family to the Chapleau area , 2nd week of August.

Will be my first time heading west from Sudbury.

We leave on a Friday morning.. #400 to #17 to Sault St Marie.  Stay the night, then to Wawa then to Chapleau for afternoon check in.

The trip home would be one day. Would like to take #129 from Chapleau to connect back to the #17. Any concerns with this road? Yes we'll have a full tank of gas.

Any  points of interest we should check out? Any shore accessible fishing spots along the way around #17? My son would love the chance at a speckled trout, if possible. You can PM me if you don't want to share publicly .

Thanks in advance! 

Highway 129 south from Chapleau to Iron Bridge was the one of the most spectacular drives I've ever done in Ontario. Highly recommended. If you are coming through Chapleau and need somewhere to stay, highly recommend Wakami Lake PP. Great walleye fishing there. Also the hike up to Aubrey Falls is not too difficult and very worth the effort. I was in the area last summer and really enjoyed it.

Agreed, 129 is a beautiful drive through the heart of the Algoma highlands...well worth it. 

Gas is available at Tunnel Lake Trading Post and also Black Creek Outfitters.

A couple of other stops that are worthwhile are Grindstone Falls and Pigpen Chutes. Both are short hikes off the highway. Bring your fishing rod to Pig Pen...Smallies and Walleye. 

On one trip, we were looking to kill an hour or two on our way up  to Wawa. The folks at the Trading Post told us that  Snowshoe Creek had Speckles.  There is a bridge at 129 and some logging roads to the east that follow along it. We briefly tried, but didn't have any success...but it did look fishy. 

However, if you really want to connect with Brook Trout....the stretch of Hwy 17 from the Soo to Wawa along Lake Superior is a better bet. The Pancake River (above the falls especially), the aptly named Speckled Trout Creek, the Sand River (take the trail upstream of the falls beside the highway), and the Old Woman River (below the chutes)....all have Brookies. As a rule of thumb for Trout (like anywhere) the deeper into the bush you're willing to hike, the better the fishing.

In mid-August you may even run into the start of the Pink Salmon run. Most of the lower ends of the Superior (and North Channel Huron tribs) get runs...but the Michipicoten River below Scott's Falls Hydro Dam is a dependable spot. Check out Speckled Trout Creek for Pinks too...from the falls at 17 down to the mouth....go upstream for Brookies.

Another good spot for Pinks is Lauzon Creek ... in Algoma Mills, on the way back to Sudbury. There's an obvious spot where the locals fish just downstream from 17.

Have a great trip !

After leaving the Sault once in the park stop by agawa travel centre they a lot of good info Catherine cove /bathtub island is a good stop for the kids once in wawa young’s general store is must stop and see for a good meal stop at the big bear in hawk junction potholes provincial park is another small hike that needs to taken to see the potholes and a little caution along the 20km stretch down by the Mississagi river it can get real tight when log and chip trucks hauling along there be ready for them safe travels and enjoy 

Edited by Northerner1212