boat insurance claims

chessy

Got word from dealer that my lower end is totally destroyed inside . they want me to file a claim because they are not going to cover it under warranty saying I hit something causing it to grenade there is not a single mark on prop or skag or any other marks of the lower unit . how does one call the insurance company and say hey can you cover my motor I don't know what happed but dealer says I hit something  

Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 9.19.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 9.18.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 9.18.42 PM.png

• Like 1

Considering there isn't a mark anywhere on the lower unit that would justify them saying you did and hard enough to destroy the guts no less I would be very suspicious of what they are claiming. Sounds like they are trying to absolve themselves of any responsibility. My first thought would be to take in to a different shop and get another opinion. To hit something hard enough to do that much damage I can't see how there couldn't be any evidence on the outside of the unit. Good luck.

• Like 1

Well that's an odd situation...

If you are confident that you did not hit anything and there is no evidence of any impact damage on the lower unit and on the propeller then I think it would be reasonable to conclude that there was an internal failure of some kind that caused the damage.

If the engine is still under warranty it should not be a problem for a honest and reputable dealer to get it replaced under warranty.

On the other hand if the dealer can get you to claim it through insurance they stand to make considerably more money because they can charge the insurance company full retail price plus labor for a new lower unit as compared to probably just a flat rate service fee for the labor under warranty since the lower unit or the parts would be warranty replacements. 

You need a good dealer because I doubt the insurance would cover it when there is no evidence either. Ask the dealer to prove that it wasn't an internal part failure that caused the damage.

question....do you throw your boat into reverse to attempt to stop it while driving? It seems impossible to shred a drive shaft like that without doing anything..unless the gearing was misaligned when inserted into the top end. Did you attempt to replace the impeller or do anything/have anyone do the water pump since purchasing the motor.

if none of the above...looks like a merc 😪

29 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

question....do you throw your boat into reverse to attempt to stop it while driving? It seems impossible to shred a drive shaft like that without doing anything..unless the gearing was misaligned when inserted into the top end. Did you attempt to replace the impeller or do anything/have anyone do the water pump since purchasing the motor.

if none of the above...looks like a merc 😪

I have had 4 carb put on it .. and never touched a thing. I am not even cirtified to use a screwdriver 

• Haha 1

I'm not a mechanic nor mechanically inclined... But could you (or someone) have hit a log or run into a rope at full speed? Neither would leave a mark. I ran into a rope before and the engine stopped immediately, thought I destroyed it.

1 hour ago, Sterling said:

I'm not a mechanic nor mechanically inclined... But could you (or someone) have hit a log or run into a rope at full speed? Neither would leave a mark. I ran into a rope before and the engine stopped immediately, thought I destroyed it.

no fastest its ever gone is 2.5 mph according to gps and fishhawk

9 minutes ago, chessy said:

no fastest its ever gone is 2.5 mph according to gps and fishhawk

Thinking it is a kicker/ trolling motor , did you make a high speed run with it in gear and down , I have heard of kickers destroyed like that

12 minutes ago, dave524 said:

Thinking it is a kicker/ trolling motor , did you make a high speed run with it in gear and down , I have heard of kickers destroyed like that

no motor always trimmed up and out of water... 

was talking to another dealer to buy a new motor he wanted pictures and I sent them to him.. he says more damage to top of lower unit then the bottom... so it looks like it started from the top.. warped flywheel ?  who knows. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dave524 said:

That will put a rod through the block..  ask me how I know!  It involved my oldest kid, and his buddies and some waterskis!  Never lend your boat to you kid!!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, porkpie said:

That will put a rod through the block..  ask me how I know!  It involved my oldest kid, and his buddies and some waterskis!  Never lend your boat to you kid!!!

nope not a chance no one drives my boat. every .. its brand new lol. 

• Haha 1

That is one situation where turning it over to insurance may pay benefits, provided you are willing to push.   They don't want to pay a claim either.  If you have a broker push. And don't take no for an answer. The insurance company has the power to get the vendor to cover the claim.  Feel free to pm me if you want to chat about strategy and what to say.   

15 minutes ago, spincast said:

That is one situation where turning it over to insurance may pay benefits, provided you are willing to push.   They don't want to pay a claim either.  If you have a broker push. And don't take no for an answer. The insurance company has the power to get the vendor to cover the claim.  Feel free to pm me if you want to chat about strategy and what to say.   

to funny..... I broke down and called my insurance company and the adjuster called me today.. I explained I hit nothing act... she said she will send the top appraiser from April marine to investagate the claim. she said it sounds like mercury does not want to cover there warranty 

• Like 2