Boat trailer parts

Freshtrax

Anyone recommend where  to get another axle and equalizer hangers? 

Long story short had 2 explosive  blow outs on the way home from Nipigon one in White Lake and one in French River lucky we had 2 spares with us.   It's a 19.5 ft aluminum sitting on a single axle currently running d rated tires the biggest I can stuff in the fenders. About 5-6000 km on them with no issues so far could have just been their time but rather not go through it again.   With the kicker and some gear in the boat I'm getting to much heat in the tires I think.  I'm pretty handy should be able to figure it out if someone can walk me through what parts to order.  Thinking I will add brakes while  I am in there.  

I've looked at used trailer prices seems like I will save a few grand doing it myself over buying a decent used  trailer and selling this one if I can get the parts for arround $1500-2

Edited by Freshtrax

What's wrong with the axle? If the axle and springs are carrying the weight ok; why not move the fenders, allowing to put whatever size wheel and tire on? If the hubs on the trailer are four bolt, you may need to replace them with 5 bolt by 4.5" pattern hubs, opening you up to most any 14, 15 or even 16 inch wheels. You didn't say so I am assuming that you have glorified golf cart wheel on the trailer now?

Dan...

4 hours ago, DanD said:

What's wrong with the axle? If the axle and springs are carrying the weight ok; why not move the fenders, allowing to put whatever size wheel and tire on? If the hubs on the trailer are four bolt, you may need to replace them with 5 bolt by 4.5" pattern hubs, opening you up to most any 14, 15 or even 16 inch wheels. You didn't say so I am assuming that you have glorified golf cart wheel on the trailer now?

Dan...

there not tiny by any means boats not in the driveway currently.  

20220619_075758.jpg

Edited by Freshtrax
  • Sad 1

#1, what does the the boat, motors, batteries, gas and equipment weigh? From there you can safely look at a more robust axle, springs and tires.  What weight are the old tires rated for?  How old were they.  There's lot of unanswered Q's.

19.5 ft Boat kicker and trailer are likely pushing the 3300lb combined  rating of the tires at max pressure 60 psi.

Add in some camping gear and 2 coolers were likely over.  

Tires were in good looking condition and gets trailered regularly a few hundred k. To erie and lake o without the extra gear.  

It's time for another axle and 2 more Tires. 

Edited by Freshtrax

Looking at the pic it looks like you already have a 5 stud hub? Why do you want to change the axle? An axle doesn't change the carrying capacity of the tire. If it is because you want more room for a larger tire. You could relocate the axle or add blocks between the axle and springs. As in if the axle is sitting on top of the spring flip it to the underside of the spring. If after flipping the axle and you still want more room add blocks between the axle and spring. With your estimated weights you gave us a D rated (2150lbs @ 65psi @ 65mph)) should be enough but it's getting to the top of it's range. Then add in your gear, supplies, and then mix in a bit of road speed could have add up to the blow outs?  An E rated (3520lbs @ 80psi @ 65mph) should do the job with no problems. I'm just looking at the cost of buying an new axle if it is not warranted. 

Dan...

18 hours ago, DanD said:

Looking at the pic it looks like you already have a 5 stud hub? Why do you want to change the axle? An axle doesn't change the carrying capacity of the tire. If it is because you want more room for a larger tire. You could relocate the axle or add blocks between the axle and springs. As in if the axle is sitting on top of the spring flip it to the underside of the spring. If after flipping the axle and you still want more room add blocks between the axle and spring. With your estimated weights you gave us a D rated (2150lbs @ 65psi @ 65mph)) should be enough but it's getting to the top of it's range. Then add in your gear, supplies, and then mix in a bit of road speed could have add up to the blow outs?  An E rated (3520lbs @ 80psi @ 65mph) should do the job with no problems. I'm just looking at the cost of buying an new axle if it is not warranted. 

Dan...

I hear ya I have owned both tandem and single axle boat trailers .  Tandem pulls so much nicer.   I feel like the additional cost is worth the investment. 

Look at the weight rating on your current tires. You may need to step up a class. Also make sure they aren't under inflated. The load rating and inflation psi are on the sidewall. I accidentally purchased a C rated tire when I need a D rated tire. It failed prematurely. 

• Like 1