Drive from Wawa to Nakina, best route?

DGeibel

We will be driving up from the States to Nakina. Getting to Wawa is pretty simple but what are the bests routes to get to Nakina from Wawa? We will be driving at night and plan to be fueling up in Wawa around 8:00pm. Which way from there were we can also stop for gas along the way in the middle of the night.  Truck only guests about 17 miles per gallon. Any 24 hour gas station along the way.  Thanks! Need to be in Nakina by 5:30am. 

The Manitouwadge route is definitely the shortest. It's probably 90 minutes quicker than taking Hwy 17 all the way to Nipigon and then backtracking north on Hwy 11. There is a gas station in Manitouwadge, but I don't believe it's open all night. However, the Nipigon route is definitely going to have several 24 hr gas stations along 17.  You may also consider filing up some jerry cans with gas to get you through.

Either way, you may want to reconsider your timing. I have driven across northern Ontario  hundreds of times over the last 50 years, and I almost always avoid driving at night. I've just seen too many collisions with Moose, to know that's its not an uncommon occurrence. Be very, very vigilant. I would leave earlier, spend the night in Nakina and be bright and fresh for your fly-in that morning.

Edited by CrowMan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't recommend driving the caramat road from manitouwadge to caramat at night. The road can get very rough from logging trucks, it's very curvey with lots of ups and downs. I just take white river though hornepayne then west on 11. Safest bet

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the info. From White River I’m gonna take Hwy 631 north to Hwy 11 then head west to Hwy 584 north to Nakina. Might take a little longer but better roads. Headed to Kap Lake with 7 Lakes Wilderness. Thanks again! 

Anyone been to Kapikotongwa (Kap) Lake? Any feedback on the fishing?

On 6/19/2022 at 6:43 AM, DGeibel said:

We will be driving up from the States to Nakina. Getting to Wawa is pretty simple but what are the bests routes to get to Nakina from Wawa? We will be driving at night and plan to be fueling up in Wawa around 8:00pm. Which way from there were we can also stop for gas along the way in the middle of the night.  Truck only guests about 17 miles per gallon. Any 24 hour gas station along the way.  Thanks! Need to be in Nakina by 5:30am. 

Nipigon is your next 24hr gas stop northbound if I'm not mistaken.   Wawa used to have a 24/7 cardlock right on the highway but that's gone.   

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Freshtrax said:

Can confirm wawa did not have 24 hr gas 3 years ago... I rolled the dice and coasted into the Sault on the way home.. had a half tank in the boat figured we would figure a way ro get it out if we needed it. 

Yeah sucks you gotta time when you get into Wawa now, you never had to before, lol! 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the advice. From White River (24 hr gas at Mobil) we headed up 631. About 15 miles before Hoynepayne somewhere around 1:00am we met up with Mr. & Mrs. Moose standing in the middle of the road. That was a fun experience as we skid to a stop and they barely moved an inch. 11 to Geraldton(24 hr Esso)then north on 584 to Nakina. Thanks again everyone.