Aluminum vs Fibreglass

siwash

11 hours ago, siwash said:

It's an 18 HP mid-80s Merc. We're those good engines?

Not especially no, and I owned a merc small motor from that generation at one time.  I paddled home from several duck hunts, and I generally keep my equipment well tuned and regularly serviced.  It would rank among my last choices of old motors from the 80’s, second only to a Chrysler.  My first choice would be a 2 cylinder Johnston/evinrude from the late 80’s to mid 90’s.

h that's too bad!  I just put in a conditional offer... going tomorrow.. the boat is mine as long as I like what I see in person...  Motor will be started for me... and it runs well - at least now it does.  I like the boat.. 16.5 x 67" 

I'll post pics when I get it home!

Personally I have no problems with the 18 merc, although Johnnyrudes have a better reputation. I believe the weak point is the ignition system,  but every motor has its shortcomings.    keep in mind Johnson and evinrudes will be harder to get parts for in the coming years as manufacturing has stopped.

My issue is that an 18 is pretty small for a 16ft boat.. that should have at least a 25, if not a 30hp on it.. but you can always upgrade the motor in a few years.

59 minutes ago, GYPSY400 said:

Personally I have no problems with the 18 merc, although Johnnyrudes have a better reputation. I believe the weak point is the ignition system,  but every motor has its shortcomings.    keep in mind Johnson and evinrudes will be harder to get parts for in the coming years as manufacturing has stopped.

My issue is that an 18 is pretty small for a 16ft boat.. that should have at least a 25, if not a 30hp on it.. but you can always upgrade the motor in a few years.

Yes the motor is small.  Boat is rated for up to 40. 

Johnsons are not being made anymore or you mean the parts aren't?

1 hour ago, siwash said:

Yes the motor is small.  Boat is rated for up to 40. 

Johnsons are not being made anymore or you mean the parts aren't?

Yes Johnsons haven't been made since early 2000's, and evinrude shut down in 2020.. I'm not sure if they are still making parts, but when I went to the dealer 2 months ago he said parts are going to be harder and harder to get as production of motors has stopped.. I'm guessing once their stockpile of parts is gone, they're gone.  OEMs ( all oems) have a commitment to supply parts 10 years after the production date of the unit.

BRP ( skidoo, Can-am) bought OMC, phased out Johnson and developed E-TEC.. decent motor, but they have their issues.

once covid hit they felt they didn't have market share to compete with mercury and Yamaha.. so the bean counters shut down evinrude.  Eventually,  if not already, they will stop making parts for all evinrudes

Yes Sierra builds almost anything other than engine blocks and chassis etc.  But the quality isn't the same and some parts ( ignition) you shouldn't cheap out on.  I use Sierra gaskets and stuff like that, but most of the time oem parts aren't that much more money and they have stock, vs. having to order it and making a second trip.. 2 bucks a litre wipes out the money saved.

The Merc is running much better after I switched out lower unit oil, plugs, fuel filter, fresh gas and sprayed carb with gunk remover...  Idles well, too that was the main issue. I might just list it and look for a bigger johnson/evinrude... 

Thanks you all your advice guys...

1960's vintage is too old and hard to get parts for.  The oldest I'd go is early 80's if you don't want to wrench on it ALL the time.  Personally I'd run what you have for the season and look for something in the fall.  The prices goes down slightly as people don't want to store them for the winter, then they shoot back up around May 24 weekend.   But since Covid, and now supply chain issues prices are higher than normal on everything.   

5 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

I don’t know how old you are…but try to put in perspective how long ago the 1960’s actually were. I personally wouldn’t buy a 60 year old motor and hope that it gets me off of the lake when a storm roles in. 

Agreed.. I won't buy a motor that's older than a year I can remember.. and I'm 45.

I couldn't be bothered with old junk anymore. 10 years ago I got fed up with everything, it was getting to the point where I'd troubleshoot Tuesday,  order parts and install by Thursday so i can fish friday and Saturday.. just so i can do the same thing next week!

got sick of it and bought a brand new BMT package.  So far its been 2 impellers and other routine stuff, but I can guarantee that boat will run all weekend without issue.

Everyone has their own budgets, but it gets to a point where time with family and friends outweigh working on an old motor to save a few hundred bucks.  Some guys love the vintage stuff and enjoy fixing and tinkering with it.  I do that 40hrs a week so when it's time to go fishing,  the last thing I want to see is a wrench! LoL  but to each their own, as everyone has a different situation and "toy" budget.

7 hours ago, GYPSY400 said:

Agreed.. I won't buy a motor that's older than a year I can remember.. and I'm 45.

I couldn't be bothered with old junk anymore. 10 years ago I got fed up with everything, it was getting to the point where I'd troubleshoot Tuesday,  order parts and install by Thursday so i can fish friday and Saturday.. just so i can do the same thing next week!

got sick of it and bought a brand new BMT package.  So far its been 2 impellers and other routine stuff, but I can guarantee that boat will run all weekend without issue.

Everyone has their own budgets, but it gets to a point where time with family and friends outweigh working on an old motor to save a few hundred bucks.  Some guys love the vintage stuff and enjoy fixing and tinkering with it.  I do that 40hrs a week so when it's time to go fishing,  the last thing I want to see is a wrench! LoL  but to each their own, as everyone has a different situation and "toy" budget.

Owned two Yamahas so far, both completely flawless…and good thing because between the trailers and then 22 and now new to me 15 year old boat respectively they gave/give me enough work to do to keep my schedule full of tinkering…never mind the arsenal of reels that need maintenance every year. 

anyone else a trailer warrior like me? lol welds and wiring something is always causing me a pita

Edited by AKRISONER

On 7/1/2022 at 8:09 AM, siwash said:

What are your thoughts on the 1960s Johsons/Evinrudes?

My thoughts are that boating on the ultra cheap usually yields disappointment.  If you have a running 18hp merc at the moment, and a serviceable used 16 foot tin boat, then I’d be saving my money for a newer 30hp 4 stroke Honda or Suzuki.  There is not a whole lot that can go wrong with a 16 foot tinner.  If the transom goes, you can generally replace it quite easily if your handy.  A small leak?  Tip it over and get a buddy to help you bang some rivets tight.  Flooring shot?  Rip it out and replace.  It the boats in decent shape it will last you for years.  The motors have a finite lifespan.  And while that old Johnny may run well, it will break down eventually or as someone else said, it’ll smoke like mad.  If you buy once and cry once on a newer motor, you’ll be on the water trouble free for years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, porkpie said:

a newer 30hp 4 stroke Honda or Suzuki.

I switched to Yamaha this year after many rave reviews from folks whose opinions I respect.  I drove only Hondas for over 30 years, but where I live in Kingston, ON there is nobody to service them and I can't do diddly squat by myself.  So for me it's Yamaha from this point forward.  And yes, newer motors for sure.  Never had a Suzuki, don't have any buddies who have Suzukis, but their reputation is good also.

Doug

• Like 1

Words of wisdom ^^^^^^

Buy once, cry once.

The nice thing about new outboards is that you'll get 10 to 15, maybe even 20 years of trouble free service with only routine maintenance.   Yeah there are horror stories, but for the most part any outboard is pretty reliable nowadays. 

50 minutes ago, GYPSY400 said:

Words of wisdom ^^^^^^

Buy once, cry once.

The nice thing about new outboards is that you'll get 10 to 15, maybe even 20 years of trouble free service with only routine maintenance.   Yeah there are horror stories, but for the most part any outboard is pretty reliable nowadays. 

Except those evinrude G2 motors, holy cow the horror stories.

every manufacturer has had its issues in some particular powers. 

for example the 2006 yamaha vmax engines, the 200 was flawless but the 225 and 250 were time bombs due to an oil starvation issue on cylinder 6. Lucky for anyone buying a used outboard you can typically google the motor and year you are looking at and figure out which ones are good vs bad.

there were Johnson motors that were flawless, there were mercury ones too…the difference is that bad Yamaha’s and Hondas and Suzukis are typically the exception instead of the rule.

almost all of the 2020+ four stroke motors these days are really really good. They are running reasonably older technology now with all of the kinks worked out. 

2 hours ago, akaShag said:

I switched to Yamaha this year after many rave reviews from folks whose opinions I respect.  I drove only Hondas for over 30 years, but where I live in Kingston, ON there is nobody to service them and I can't do diddly squat by myself.  So for me it's Yamaha from this point forward.  And yes, newer motors for sure.  Never had a Suzuki, don't have any buddies who have Suzukis, but their reputation is good also.

Doug

While I’d agree with you that Yamaha generally makes a good motor, and the majority are trouble free, if you ever have to deal with Yamaha Canada on a real warranty issue you might find yourself having an interesting time.  I have a good used running 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke on  my tinner, and I’d probably buy a good running used one again.  I’d never buy one under warranty as the warranty is useless paper in my mind and I won’t pay for that privilege again!

Edited by porkpie