Portage Dock Etiquette (who's the idiot?)

Sterling

On 6/17/2022 at 7:31 PM, LostAnotherOne said:

So one question guys.  You drive up to a launch and no one is there.  Do you drive off to the side and load your boat up or do you back your boat up right to the launch and load your boat up there?

Load off the side.  Never at the ramp.  4am or 4pm.  Stay the F out of the way until your ready to drop it in.  I load my boat in the driveway at home.  When I get to the ramp the only things I put in it are the keys, my sonar and my thermos.  All else including the cooler was put in there before left the house.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Vacate the dock when before leaving the canoe unattended otherwise you are one those type that are oblivious to those around them.  Hopefully, the op had the sense to apologize profusely, they had enough sense to think "maybe i was wring on this". Mistakes happen.

1 hour ago, Podric said:

Vacate the dock when before leaving the canoe unattended otherwise you are one those type that are oblivious to those around them.  Hopefully, the op had the sense to apologize profusely, they had enough sense to think "maybe i was wring on this". Mistakes happen.

We did in fact apologize despite the antagonistic approach. Buddy's approach wasn't exactly effective, and others might have just flipped him the bird.

Wouldn't exactly describe our group as inconsiderate either - we went out of our way to help a couple groups during the week.

57 minutes ago, Sterling said:

We did in fact apologize despite the antagonistic approach. Buddy's approach wasn't exactly effective, and others might have just flipped him the bird.

Wouldn't exactly describe our group as inconsiderate either - we went out of our way to help a couple groups during the week.

There are rarely any completely oblivious or completely perfectly aware people.  Same goes for considerate people.   Being a bit selfish sometimes is how we end up not being run over by everyone else.  I don't matter but given you got a bit of a rough ride it shows good character you took it will and figured it out.  Always learning till we die.

• Like 1