Jump to content

Portage Dock Etiquette (who's the idiot?)


Recommended Posts

Had an interesting encounter yesterday at Kokoko Lake, Northeast of Temagami. 

There's a short portage between Temagami and Kokoko, with a small dock that fits 2 boats. Typically we dock our boats there, portage gear across, and either take a canoe or use a boat stashed on the other side. 

A 2nd group arrived at Kokoko after us. They came to visit, but only to lambast us about being "totally inconsiderate" by leaving our boats docked, making it "impossible" to offload their gear at the dock.

I see where they're coming from. But I've been in their position before, and it never occurred to me that the group ahead was being inconsiderate. I just go "darn, beat us to it" and beach my boat. 

In a well-traveled circuit, like Temagami, is it common etiquette to leave docks clear? I'll definitely do that next time, just thought it was strange for them to be so pissed about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Using the dock to unload and load but parking it there at one of only 2 spots on a dock is poor form. Once you have unloaded move your boat to the beach and park. I know that it is a pain in the butt to unload from the nose of a boat while it is beached. 

 

Art

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I mean people park at the town docks in gravenhurst and take up space all day.  On some of the smaller lakes from time to time they’ll leave their tinny for a week at a time.  I don’t mind the docking for the day, but a few times I’ve been tempted to tow the week long tinny being stored at the dock across the lake.  They can really tie up space especially on the weekends.  I don’t really know the circumstances.  If it’s just for a day I’d say too bad.  If your planning on leaving for a couple days and spending that time on the next lake, I’d say learn how to safely beach your boat and properly secure it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's your sign.

 

I would have moved your boats about a hundred yards down the lake and tied it, if I was in a good mood.

It's not proper to take up a loading unloading dock at a portage unless you are loading or unloading

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Dara said:

Here's your sign.

 

I would have moved your boats about a hundred yards down the lake and tied it, if I was in a good mood.

It's not proper to take up a loading unloading dock at a portage unless you are loading or unloading

Retaliation by crime isn't my style, but to each their own. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Perhaps I was a bit harsh but it is poor form to take up the dock. Kinda like prepping your boat for launching while you are on the launch and 20 others are waiting for you

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/15/2022 at 8:49 AM, Dara said:

Kinda like prepping your boat for launching while you are on the launch and 20 others are waiting for you

Now THERE is a pet peeve!!!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, akaShag said:

Now THERE is a pet peeve!!!

LOL Thats south of 7...in the north we have our own.

You will work to get to your canoe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Dara said:

LOL Thats south of 7...in the north we have our own.

You will work to get to your canoe.

Last year, maybe the year before, two FAT slugs launched their large boat, maybe a bass boat, I do not remember, and tied it to the dock IN THE LAUNCH RAMP on Loughborough, which is a busy ramp around here.  Then they slowly, with great effort and much panting, carried all their crap from their truck (across the parking lot) to their boat, multiple trips.  I would have killed them, gleefully, and fed their fat carcasses to the snapping turtles.  My fishing partner dissuaded me..........

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, akaShag said:

Last year, maybe the year before, two FAT slugs launched their large boat, maybe a bass boat, I do not remember, and tied it to the dock IN THE LAUNCH RAMP on Loughborough, which is a busy ramp around here.  Then they slowly, with great effort and much panting, carried all their crap from their truck (across the parking lot) to their boat, multiple trips.  I would have killed them, gleefully, and fed their fat carcasses to the snapping turtles.  My fishing partner dissuaded me..........

He could have distracted them at the suv while you tied the boat a hundred yards down shore..lol

I had a houseboat tied in the launch  area and you couldn't get out of there once you did launch.

it was a good mood day.....................

Link to comment
Share on other sites

#1  Get boat loaded and ready to launch in parking area

#2  Proceed to launch and launch

#3  Park vehicle and trailer

#4  F*&^%off from dock 

Note Last 3 steps to be carried out Asap

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, canoecarrier said:

You said typically you leave your boats there? So if you are actually leaving both sides blocked while you go wander in the bush I think you answered your own question!

2 of 4 times. The other times, someone was already there. Didn't cross my mind to get angry, we just used the end of the dock (which remains available), or offloaded on shore (pretty easy at this spot). I get where buddy was coming from, but would have handled it differently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Sterling said:

2 of 4 times. The other times, someone was already there. Didn't cross my mind to get angry, we just used the end of the dock (which remains available), or offloaded on shore (pretty easy at this spot). I get where buddy was coming from, but would have handled it differently.

I apologize, I was under the impression you were new there. I need to read closer.

If your actions were typical for the area then yes, he is out of line, or maybe new there himself but still no excuse, and no ,I wouldn't bother his boat..lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, LostAnotherOne said:

So one question guys.  You drive up to a launch and no one is there.  Do you drive off to the side and load your boat up or do you back your boat up right to the launch and load your boat up there?

if it is 5 am and there is nobody else in the parking lot I put my stuff in the boat about fifty feet from the ramp.  Somebody can still get in behind me if they are ready to go immediately.  But on a weekend day, or during bass season around Kingston, I would not do that.  Five guys could pull up in 5 minutes, and I don't want to be in their way.  BUT!  On some really busy launches, you pretty much have to line up with the rest of the rigs and load your stuff as you are edging towards your actual launch position.  Hard to do if you are solo though..........

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, akaShag said:

if it is 5 am and there is nobody else in the parking lot I put my stuff in the boat about fifty feet from the ramp.  Somebody can still get in behind me if they are ready to go immediately.  But on a weekend day, or during bass season around Kingston, I would not do that.  Five guys could pull up in 5 minutes, and I don't want to be in their way.  BUT!  On some really busy launches, you pretty much have to line up with the rest of the rigs and load your stuff as you are edging towards your actual launch position.  Hard to do if you are solo though..........

Bummer, never seen it that busy. One Saturday I was launching in the city and there were 2 ahead of me.

Other than unsnaping 2 tie downs my boat is ready to go though. Pull in and back up to launch, disconnect lights, take safety chain from nose and loosen winch rope, go to back and remove 2 tie downs, attach rope to cleat, back in till boat floats, remove winch strap and pull boat with cleat rope , tie to dock, park, get in boat start it and leave. 2 minutes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Dara said:

Bummer, never seen it that busy.

Owen Sound, during the salmon derby.  And back in the day, many Lake Ontario launches during the summer.  Two lines of rigs, in the dark, headed for the ramps.

Or all summer here on weekends on the bass lakes...........

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, akaShag said:

Owen Sound, during the salmon derby.  And back in the day, many Lake Ontario launches during the summer.  Two lines of rigs, in the dark, headed for the ramps.

Or all summer here on weekends on the bass lakes...........

People really fish for Bass eh?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, akaShag said:

Owen Sound, during the salmon derby.  And back in the day, many Lake Ontario launches during the summer.  Two lines of rigs, in the dark, headed for the ramps.

Or all summer here on weekends on the bass lakes...........

Ramps like Port D are well oiled machines when guys are lined up.   But people there know the deal and act accordingly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/17/2022 at 7:31 PM, LostAnotherOne said:

So one question guys.  You drive up to a launch and no one is there.  Do you drive off to the side and load your boat up or do you back your boat up right to the launch and load your boat up there?

It takes about 2 minutes for an empty launch to become packed when a few people arrive to launch. So follow the proper etiquette and protocol even if the ramps are empty IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...