Tent camping. What to bring.

glen

An anti itch pen for after the incessant bites.  If you're staying for more than 2-3 days in warmer weather, get a small block of dry ice and put it in the bottom of your cooler.  It will keep everything very cold and lasts quite a long time.

One of the first things we do is to bury our coolers up to the lid. Then cover them with moss to keep any sunlight off of them.

You can't bring enough tarps and rope. Tie rocks to the tarp lines and throw the rocks up into nearby trees, wind the ropes around the tree truck to hold the tarps in place.

If you have room, a fold out table can be really helpful.

HH

45 minutes ago, Headhunter said:

You can't bring enough tarps and rope. Tie rocks to the tarp lines and throw the rocks up into nearby trees, wind the ropes around the tree truck to hold the tarps in place.

So that's how all those tarps get up in the trees, lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodenboater said:

do you mean Thermarest ? if you did mean Thermacell, I wouldn't be sleeping in a room with a Thermacell running if it were me.

Yes Thermarest or any good quality sleeping mat from a store like MEC.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akaShag said:

I have heard about this for years but never seen any.  Where does one find dry ice?

Doug

I got mine from Praxair in Barrie, but most of those places that carry compressed gasses like O2 acetylene, etc will have it.

• Thanks 1

Back in the day...some "ganja gardeners" would use dry ice in their grow ops. Dry ice is frozen carbon dioxide, when it "melts" it becomes CO2 gas, which super-charges plant growth. 

The fact that as it "melts" it becomes a gas and not a liquid makes it great for storing food in a cooler...nothing ever gets soggy.

Depending on where you are camping:

1. A folding grill for cooking over an open fire.  Those park ones are nasty and you can lay these over the nasty grills or use them on their own.

2. Lots of aluminum foil for cooking things on and in

3. Extra tent pegs and those screw in dog leash holders are great for anchoring a tarp in wind when the trees are not where you need them.

4. You can get those little battery powered LED lights that are cheap and are great for nice subtle lighting under tarps or over your picnic table.   https://www.amazon.ca/Lyhope-Battery-Operated-Waterproof-Decoration/dp/B07DL531D9/ref=sr_1_52?crid=2L5RDQKUHEIDC&keywords=battery+led+lights&qid=1654616042&sprefix=battery+led+lights%2Caps%2C167&sr=8-52

Probably not needed where your going, but the best new addition to our backcountry outings is the Platypus Water Filter. No more boiling. Drinkable water in minutes.

EA1D6CE6-E388-4D51-9380-DE46DEE3F170.jpeg.01d627512f8c2e8555a043daf76a32ed.jpeg

Edited by RayK
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...