Tent camping. What to bring.

glen

So far I have.  10 man tent. 12’sq dining tent.  Cots with foam.  Sleeping bags.  Bug spray.  Stove.  Coolers. Chairs.  Lights.  Tent heater. All the usual stuff.  
Is there anything else. Like new products that are good to have?  

Tarp and strong rope, set up over the tent for shade during sunny days and rain block when it showers. 

With respect to gadgets, portable power bank keep electronics topped up for the kiddos. We like the thermacell for skeeters, set it up just upwind around the campfire at night. 

• Like 1

Portable fan is on that list.  
It sure would be nice but I don’t have anywhere to charge it.  portable shower, I’m going to get one for next year.  

Darn I can’t find my pie irons.  

I camping so I can fish.  Btw.  

We are coming upon our second year camping off the grid and we are still learning as we go.  Just purchased a new Yeti cooler ($400) to keep our meats cold for the week.  If you like fires bring a saw or bring your own wood with a tarp.  I like using disposable plates and bowls.  You'll probably forget some things like most people.  Disposable wipes is an important one too.  Have fun and good luck Glen.

3 hours ago, LostAnotherOne said:

If you like fires bring a saw or bring your own wood with a tarp. 

You might want to check with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) before you transport the firewood form your area to another. 

emerald ash borer

CFIA suggests that you buy your firewood local to where you're camping and get a recite. A recite showing the seller's name, address, and contact info. I used to repair the CFIA's vehicles here in London and Brian Hamilton (Enforcement officer) said the fines depending on severity of the offence can reach into the ten's of thousands of dollars and or possible jail time. I understand the wood would only be for a couple of camp fires, but the CFIA is worried about what may crawl out of the wood waiting to be burned. They also work with the OPP and the MNR to help find offenders.

Just a heads up.

Dan...   

Edited by DanD
  • Like 2

can't stress good tarps enough. Sitting in bug shelters is not my idea of fun, unless the bugs are horrendous. People can come and go without the zipper ritual. Shelter from shade and rain, and can be placed over the firepit, if high enough. 

and ropes/lines. bring way more than you think you'll need. you'll regret not having more when you can't tie things down haha

• Like 2

I now travel with a 40-watt solar panel most places I go,   very light. I can get up to 2 amp at 20 watt on sunny days

I built a small travel box that holds 2- 12 volt batteries ice-fishing type batteries.   has 2 USB ports, 1- 12v cig lighter outlet.

set it and forget it during the day.   Night run 12volt min fans, charge up cell phones, etc.

a cooler for your frozen meals and a cooler for whatever else. The meal cooler only gets opened once a day and stays in the shade. pack your food tightly with ice to reduce air. It can be tough to keep your food frozen for long enough. Dont rely on fish to eat...You certainly will end up with some act of god that prevents you from having food. 

Rope, mosquito coils for the evening as the sun sets surround your campfire where you hand out with them and you will be comfortable during the most brutal time of the day.

12 hours ago, woodenboater said:

can't stress good tarps enough. Sitting in bug shelters is not my idea of fun, unless the bugs are horrendous. People can come and go without the zipper ritual. Shelter from shade and rain, and can be placed over the firepit, if high enough. 

and ropes/lines. bring way more than you think you'll need. you'll regret not having more when you can't tie things down haha

Absolutely

On 6/2/2022 at 12:52 PM, glen said:

My tents are brand new. I wasn’t going to tarp them.  I’ll check into a thermacell.  
Hopefully no electronics.  

Always set up a tarp.  Even if it’s just over your picnic table.   You’ll appreciate it at some point!

• Like 3

What we've been using at the trailer is an oil burning lantern filled with a citronella based oil. It gives off a decent amount of light and it does help with the bugs. What I've been doing is to light the lantern (outside) about a half-hour before we go to sit out on the deck. Leaving the wick set a little high to produce some extra smoke. Once outside I turn the wick down to get a nice flame.

I agree that the green coils work well; but my wife can't stand the smell of?

Dan...

71NkLdPVJzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 12:52 PM, glen said:

My tents are brand new. I wasn’t going to tarp them.  I’ll check into a thermacell.  
Hopefully no electronics.  

New tents can leak especially if the tent fly ( cheap tents) does not go to the ground level. Spray fly and floor seams with silicon on the outside. Get a warm sleeping bag good to 0C or lower. I would not use a cot just a good thermacell under the bag.

1 hour ago, 16 Footer said:

I would not use a cot just a good thermacell under the bag.

I agree 100% with the thermacell underlay, keeps you warm and dry while laying down. I'd still like a cot, I'll be off the ground (incase of a tent rain flood) or accidentally picking the ONLY lump/rock or whatever under the sleeping bag, that jabs you not matter how you move. A thermacell will still work on top of a cot; it'll keep the dew off the underside of your sleeping bag. 

Speaking of lumps under a tent; we set up a new tent in out backyard, just to see how it went up. The kids and I were going to sleep in it that night. While Cathy (my wife) was laying out the sleeping bags, she finds this lump under the tent's floor about the size of a small pinecone. So I'm asked (told) to go under the tent and remove it. So I did and when I came out from under, I found myself holding a petrified piece of dog crap!!! LOL 

Dan.. 

Edited by DanD
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 16 Footer said:

I would not use a cot just a good thermacell under the bag.

That would get a bit warm, I think they are powered by a butane flame.  😲

But a Thermarest is a good piece of kit.  The long version, that fits your whole body, not the short one!  😉

Doug

• Haha 1

At least a couple of lighters as your guaranteed to lose the first one before you even use it. A hatchet. Some kind of camp knife. Couple pairs of cheap cheater glasses. Something to read on rainy days or if the kids ever give you a moments peace.

Aspirin because they probably won’t.

Edited by Weeds
  • Like 2