Black flies

Black flies are finished in Central Frontenac...same latitude just further east of Apsley. Warm weather burnt them off last week. Dragonflies are out, which is a sure sign that Blackflies are done.

Now it's just Mosquitoes at dusk, then in a bit the Horse and Deer Flies during the day...oh and of course the Gnats. Then  later the Wasps and Hornets. Also watch for Ticks when walking in the bush.

Yeah, in Ontario cottage country there's  no respite from bugs of some kind until September....but it sure beats being in the city. I certainly wouldn't let a few bugs keep me from helping out a buddy.

Edited by CrowMan

3 hours ago, Dara said:

Black flies are great, very happy and energetic right now. They seem to be getting along well with each other as they are traveling in huge swarms and all eating together.

LOL..   dont forget the mass pollinations

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dara said:

Black flies are great, very happy and energetic right now. They seem to be getting along well with each other as they are traveling in huge swarms and all eating together.

What he said…. Top of Nippissing area anyway lol.

they arent burnt off, the second wave is on now. Im down in the GTA and just got swarmed on my front lawn and its hot out.

God bless canada, 7 months of the cold trying to kill us, it finally gets warm enough to survive outside all day without devine intervention and the bugs come down and try to carry us away lol....at least our fishing is good.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

they arent burnt off, the second wave is on 

Strange spring....surface water temps are already in the low 70's, trilliums are done, and lilacs are almost done. Meanwhile, 2 days ago I saw a couple of Steelhead trying to get up the ladder at Corbett's. Last weekend Pike were in 12 inches of water and looked like they spawned the day before. Morels were non-existent this spring, and fiiddleheads went from nubs in the ground to ferns in a couple of days. Last week we had Blackflies during the day and Mosquitoes the same evening. Today the lake is swarming with Dragonflies. 

To top it off, last Saturday we had a line of storms come through that looked like they belonged in mid-summer.

If I had a time machine, first place I'd travel back to would be when Noah is loading two of each species on his Ark. . . and as he brought the 2 black flies, I'd say "Whoa Noah, leave those behind with the Unicorns, we don't need them"

• Haha 1

dragonflies are out in Gooderham, I have a hundred or so crusing the property.  Blackflies are getting less and less as the Mrs and I took the bikes into Haliburton today and came home with semi clean visors.  The mosquitoes are now out in full force...