Superior Smelt Extravaganza

BassMan11

Hey all,

At the begging of April my friend had asked me if I wanted to go up to his camp in Batchawana Bay north of the Sault to open it up for the year. Having been there before, I loved the area and it was a quick yes. We planned to head up the dates of April 28th to May 1st which is one of my most favorite times of the year to be north. Longer days, potential for nice weather, and no bugs! 

The drive up was eventful and arriving at camp was as well... everything was exactly how he had left it in November. He is right on the shore of the big lake and the last of the ice caves that form every winter were still there. About 10 feet of ice still formed on the break wall. We had also timed the smelt run perfectly so that was something we had to participate in. The weather was perfect... little wind and 15-18 degrees.

All in all it was an excellent trip. The drive sure is long  but the area is just spectacular. Can't wait to get up again. Cheers!

BassMan

1st.jpg

2nd.jpg

3rd.jpg

4th.jpg

5th.jpg

6th.jpg

7th.jpg

8th.jpg

9th.jpg

10th.jpg

11th.jpg

12th.jpg

13th.jpg

14th.jpg

15th.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks for the photos and the memories.  One of my favourite parts of the world. 

We used to camp late April/early May at the mouth of Speckled Trout Creek in Lake Superior Provincial Park. During the day we would chase Steelhead in the local tribs...Chippewa, Pancake, Sand, Agawa, Old Woman, Michipicoten...and at night we would dip for Smelt at the stream mouths. 

Nothing like a feed of fresh Smelt fried in Ritz cracker crumbs over an open fire on the shores Gitcha Gumee.

Edited by CrowMan
  • Like 1

Fabulous!  It has been decades since I had a feed of fresh smelts on the beach where they were caught.  I am not sure if it is the passage of time, or the beverages consumed during the activities, that make the memories a bit hazy though..........

Thanks for the report!

Doug

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

lucky you going up to open up your friend's camp :) 

co-worker just bought some property in the general area as well. super jealous. melting ice on the Big Lake is spectacular. also, LOVE me some fried smelt mmmm.

Edited by woodenboater