Collingwood Launch and Parking

Fisherman

If there is one thing that the US lakes get right, it’s their access to water. Every lake has multiple public launches. This greed is getting outrageous. It’s not as if the launch/parking lot isn’t paid for by the local ratepayers anyways. At minimum if you pay taxes locally you should be exempt from being charged for accessing your own park. 

• Like 3

The Americans get it...they realize that anglers and boaters bring lots of money into the local economy...restaurants, accommodations, supplies, etc. The incoming revenue offsets the cost of maintaining the launch and parking.

In Canada, the first instinct of our small minded municipal politicians is fees and taxes on everything. 

Here in Oakville, nevermind charging for launching, they have banned fishing from many of the piers. It's pathetic that you can't take your kids down to the waterfront to dunk a worm for a couple of hours. Another piece of Canadian culture taken away by the soccer moms that run town council.

Penny wise, pound foolish.

• Like 1

When the government download lake access to the municipality everything went to hell in a hand basket 

They saw profit.

they sold some they closed some and they started to charge for parking. Local government listens to locals so they put up no park signs limited access and raised prices to discourage out of towners from using accesses.  And they did a study and found that the people who come to use Innisfils boat ramps and beaches buy nothing in town, no gas no food nothing , so that  make the local government feel they were doing the right thing

if they did not control the access, free easy access would still be available in Ontario

• Like 1

More and more I’m going to be parking my boat at our place up by Nippissing.  I’ll do the early  spring fishing, and the fall stagers but for the summer months I’m leaving it up there where the launches are free and the fishing is good.

I will just add that to another place that is no longer on my list of places to go. 

It is so strange where towns now do everything they can to tell people not to come.

Then they will go to the tax payers locally and say we have to raise then local tax rate to cover the cost.

• Like 3