9.9 motors ?

misfish

I have a chance to pick up a 14 ft princecraft tinny and trailer at a great deal. No motor. The areas I fish and launch from,a 9.9 will be fine. I am thinking of going new on the motor. I do not care if it,s 2 stroke or 4 .Merc,s seem to be the best price. Are they reliable/have issues ? Honda,s are nice,but $$$$$$$$.

Ya,I am getting out of the loony tooner float boat game.

Thanks to good friends,I can keep my boat at their places.

if anyone has a deal for me,I am all ears,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Sad 1

Yamaha or Suzuki and none of this 2 stroke baloney, Yamaha is a bit more, $3900 for basic pull start, $4200 for electric.  Suzuki has a pull for $3.4k and electric $4.2 cash tax inc.  So you save a bundle on the Suzuki.  Personally I would never touch a Merc unless you want a heavy anchor.

1 hour ago, Rizzo said:

oops...I have a Nissan too. Knew I was forgetting someone. The Nissan has been fine as well

I think that Nissan would have actually been a Tohatsu with Nissan decals.  A 9.9 Merc would be a Tohatsu with Mercury decals.

I haven't any any major issues with either my 2008 50hp Mercury or my 5hp Mercury/Tohatsu.

Edited by John Bacon

Have been running Mercs since '91 with no major issues at all.

Have a little 2 stroke for the tinny, had a 90 two stroke on my boat until 2013 when I replaced it with a 4 stroke 115.

Yamaha's are good motors but more $$$

I hear the Suzuki's are good

Honda's are decent motors but we found the lower units to be less robust than Yamaha or Merc when testing at the lodges on Great Bear Lake.

They have been running 30hp Mercs for many years up there and they have been good motors.

• Like 1

I'd buy a used 9.9 Honda or Yamaha over a new Merc if I were in the market. Some great deals to be found on Kijiji or Marketplace. FWIW I currently run a 9.8 Tohatsu 4 stroke as my kicker on my Wilker but it also is remote steering, power trim, electric start, same specs on a Honda would cost an arm and a leg. Have had 0 issues with it to-date, starts every time, very reliable, and it gets a ton of hours put on it trolling every summer. As stated above, same motor as Merc and Nissan, their smaller engines are made by Tohatsu.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have to see the boat,but have been told it is solid and so is the trailer.Hope to see Monday. He is holding it til I can look at it,which is nice of him, before he puts it up for sale. I have been watching for used,some decent deals. I want to get the boat first then go from there. I might head down to see my ole friend Paul at Top Gun. Maybe he has a jewel sitting around.

Tons of older 9.9 OMC engines out there that are still running fine. Save yourself a ton of coin and find one that still has good compression and it will still last you for life. Still lots of parts for them available too like impellers, coils, lower unit seals etc. from what I know but might still be a good idea to check with a marina to be sure.

Yamaha and Suzuki both have EFI versions of 9.9's. Not sure about the others.

Whether it's half a pull or half a crank  EFI motors start instantaneously no matter the temperature or conditions. Saves your arm if it's a pull start, or your starter if it's electric. Nevermind having to rebuild carburetors every few years because they get gummed up or leak.

You can get a new tohatsu 9.8 for under 3k. Everything is four stroke except evinrude which still has a oil injection style 2 stroke.

If your looking at no frills but tough I really like my tohatsu. They make the engines for mercury.

I have a few Mercury's at my camp and they are fine except guests can't seem to figure out the tilt.

I have 2 suzukis 9.9 efi, bottom ends are built with junk light cast even though the unit itself is 40 lbs heavier than a mercury.  Don't recommend. 

The Yamaha I have is fine but I get complaints about the idle on a troll.  

Imo buy a tohatsu, you can even buy it on online outbards.com and save a bit more. 

1 hour ago, Jmeyer said:

You can get a new tohatsu 9.8 for under 3k. Everything is four stroke except evinrude which still has a oil injection style 2 stroke.

It's been over two years since Evinrude was shut down.  Their smaller motors were made by Tohatsu that were priced about $1,000 more than the same more with either Mercury or Tohatsu decals on them.

Bass Pro usually has a sale on Mercuries in the spring.  That is where I found the best price.  I purchased a 5hp kicker there four years ago.

Edited by John Bacon

I’m gonna say, stay the hell away from evinrude Johnson no matter what. 

we’ve already had one board member now confirm that parts for them are an issue with them no longer being in business. Stay clear.

also, you don’t go out of business making great products…

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1

I've had experience with a number of small motors over the years.  My conclusion to date is that there is no point going with a 2 stroke motor unless your boat won't support the weight of a 4 stroke.  Everything about a 4 stroke is better.  That said, I've had honda, suzuki, yamaha, tohatsu, nissan and merc over the years.  The honda is the king as far as I'm concerned but you'll pay for it.  The yamaha four stroke electric start that I'm currently running on my tin boat is pretty darn good so far.  It's been quiet and reliable. I bought is off a guy here for a good deal and i'm pretty happy.  Although I did have a heck of a time with a brand new yamaha 2 stroke on my duck boat.  I finally resolved the hard starting issue no thanks to yamaha canada warranty, and then moved it on as I had little faith after that episode.  I would not buy a new yamaha. Their warranty isn't worth the paper its written on as far as I'm concerned.  That said, most of their product is good and you probably won't need it!  Tohatsu's work well.  I had a great 9.8 as a kicker on my big boat until my oldest kid borrowed the boat, left the kicker down and blew a piece of the rod through the front of the block.  It only had about 100 hours so that was an upsetting loss.  I now have a merc 8hp as a kicker, also made by tohatsu.  Every spring it is a bear to start, and requires a bit of messing around.  I winterize it properly, so I'm not sure what the issue is, but after screwing around for 30-60 minutes, I get it running and don't have a problem for the rest of the season.  All of the small mercs are tohatsu engines.  I had a 2 stroke nissan that was also a tohatsu build, it was a great motor and only 60 pounds.  That is the one 2 stroke I'd consider buying if I found one in good shape.  Otherwise 4 stroke all the way.  Happy hunting!  You could try The Marina Guy up in Priceville north of me if you wanted Tohatsu.  Ron and Mia are good people and that's where I take my boat for service when needed.  519-369-3892.  I imagine his prices are competitive and he may have something used in good condition available!

Edited by porkpie
  • Thanks 1