Fishing spots allowing inflatable boats with electric trolling motor

videopete

Hi there, I just bought myself an inflatable with an electric trolling motor and am looking for quiet fishing spots within about an hours drive of Georgetown, Halton Hills.

Many places I look up do not allow boats with even small trolling motors, etc.

a pond or a calm lake would be ideal (not looking for Lake Ontario, etc.) 

If anyone has any good locations, please let me know.

Thank you.

Edited by videopete

46 minutes ago, videopete said:

Hi there, I just bought myself an inflatable with an electric trolling motor and am looking for quiet fishing spots within about an hours drive of Georgetown, Halton Hills.

Many places I look up do not allow boats with even small trolling motors, etc.

a calm pond or lake would be ideal (not looking for Lake Ontario, etc.) 

If anyone has any good locations, please let me know.

Thank you.

https://conservationhamilton.ca/conservation-areas/valens-lake/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Hello to a fellow Georgetowntonian I’d personally go to island lake in orangeville

good pike bass and perch fishing

Have you been there yourself ?   Where exactly would you launch the boat from ?  is there a location at Island Lake ?

i have been to all of the aforementioned lakes either ice fishing or in a raft to fish. Mountsberg is weedy and can get muddy but theres fish in there.

Island lake is also weedy but loaded with fish. You cant not catch snot rockets there. There's even some over 30 fish in there too, i know because I have caught them.

My tournament partner caught a 5+ largie there a couple of years ago as well.

Island lake has a boat launch, mountsberg I do not recall there being one.

Edited by AKRISONER

30 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

i have been to all of the aforementioned lakes either ice fishing or in a raft to fish. Mountsberg is weedy and can get muddy but theres fish in there.

Island lake is also weedy but loaded with fish. You cant not catch snot rockets there. There's even some over 30 fish in there too, i know because I have caught them.

Island lake has a boat launch, mountsberg I do not recall there being one.

This is great information!  Thank you.   I will definitely try Island Lake first.  We are pretty new to fishing - any advice as to best bait to use/bobber no bobber ? etc.  We really don't care what type of fish we catch, we go more just for fun.  We usually bring pieces of shrimp, corn and hotdog (and live worms)

Edited by videopete

pike opens the second saturday in May on island lake. (before venturing into any new water, always read the regs!) You will catch a bunch of perch and small panfish probably fishing with bobbers and worms. For something more exciting learn how to cast spoons to catch pike. The fish this time of year will be moving towards the warmest water closest to the deeper parts of the lake.

If you are into getting serious about fishing, Id suggest just doing a load of googling about how to target whatever species you are looking to catch. Its a life long learning process that gets more and more detailed the more serious you take it. You can decide to be a worm and bobber fisherman and that suits some people just fine to go out in a boat toss out a worm and wait for a bite while relaxing, or you step your game up a bit and make things more involved, but also some would argue have more fun doing it.

Or you can be stupid like me and spend all of your expendable income to stare at panoptix for 8 hours straight chasing laketrout around.

I was also once a kid throwing spoons for pike from a tinner too. We all start somewhere.

Let us know how you fare!

• Like 2

Not be overlooked are the estuaries of the Lake O tributaries. The Credit, 16 Mile and Bronte all have boat launches. Depending on the time of year you can catch Silver Bass, Smallmouth, Carp, Catfish and the occasional Pike. Steelhead and Salmon in the spring and fall.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

LOL, Back in the late 70,s and early 80,s,I pull over off 10 and throw small spinners and catch nice browns. That was way before your time. LMAO.

BTW,Does fairy lake in Acton still hold big largies?

22 minutes ago, CrowMan said:

Largemouth, Crappies and some surprisingly big Pike in Fairy Lake. 

i wouldnt eat anything out of there though...I worked for the town of halton hills once upon a time, that lake is gross lol. 

Also can confirm island lake allows electric only motors

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Because they are all conservation areas at minimum you will typically have to pay parking during the open season

There are not going to be many free public launches on small lakes trust me our bass club struggles to schedule our clubbies on lakes with free ramps, they are few and far between.

16 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

Because they are all conservation areas at minimum you will typically have to pay parking during the open season

There are not going to be many free public launches on small lakes trust me our bass club struggles to schedule our clubbies on lakes with free ramps, they are few and far between.

That's what worries me, I just bought an inflatable boat with an electric motor, and hard to find a lake that accepts it. I don't want to go to Ontario Lake for my first try too dangerous. 

19 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

I wouldn’t worry so much about free launching, go somewhere closed, save yourself the gas money and go catch some fish.

There is a free launch in Hamilton harbour. No danger in a small boat in there

I hear you but when I go I will go with the family and i am family of 5 (5 x$7=$30 ) with car $14 total is $44 per visit, if I go every weekend starting this weekend until summer end, it's really a lot of money. What is hamilton harbour? that is for lake ontario I am afraid to go to lake ontario, big lake. if I have to go to lake ontario I was thinking to go to from the beaches in missisauga there is a beach i know is friendly for swimming i can push my boat there.

12 hours ago, v007 said:

I hear you but when I go I will go with the family and i am family of 5 (5 x$7=$30 ) with car $14 total is $44 per visit, if I go every weekend starting this weekend until summer end, it's really a lot of money. What is hamilton harbour? that is for lake ontario I am afraid to go to lake ontario, big lake. if I have to go to lake ontario I was thinking to go to from the beaches in missisauga there is a beach i know is friendly for swimming i can push my boat there.

Bay front park in Hamilton is free

also I very very strongly suggest you review the capacity limit of your vessel. What you are describing, taking 5 people onto an inflatable dingy sounds extremely dangerous

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

Bay front park in Hamilton is free

also I very very strongly suggest you review the capacity limit of your vessel. What you are describing, taking 5 people onto an inflatable dingy sounds extremely dangerous

Wow Amazing Akrisoner for the info that Bay Front park look good to try my motor boat, thank you so much.

Regarding the capacity of the boat you are right maximum is 4 people, since this is our first try we thinking of taking a turn to enjoy the boat, then eventually only a few of us will go fishing with this boat.