Evinrude Etec trim/tilt Hydraulic failure

BassMan11

Hey everyone,

So I pulled my boat out of storage this year only to find hydraulic fluid on the ground from my tilt trim.. So I took it over to my buddy who services the motor (2008 Etec 75 tiller) and the seal was blown. Since there are no rebuilt kits from the dealer, a new Hydraulic would be needed. He warned me it could be expensive but when he got the price from Evinrude my jaw hit the floor. $3700 for the part. Are you kidding me? The motor is maybe worth 6K total. 

So I am reaching out to everyone to see if they know of anyone who rebuilds these things? I know it can be done but there are some special tools needed etc. My guy is looking into it on his side but thought I'd reach out here as well.

Thanks in advance.

BM

rebuilt the hydraulics on my 98 yamaha 130...the only special tool needed was to open the caps on the ram seals. you can buy the wrench head on amazon. The one I got was adjustable, it wasnt as easy as the ones literally specifically made for opening your particular model of motor but so what it still worked.

I was able to find the full set of whatever seals I felt like replacing on boats.net. You shouldnt need to replace the entire assembly thats insane. It was literally no more than 10 rubber gaskets of various sizes and that was all. 

You can search for parts by your engine part number. The job was really straight forward and youtube helps a ton. Open up the rams, Suck out/absorb as much of the old fluid as you can.

pull the rams, replace the seals on them with new ones, put them back in and close it up, then follow some of the youtube videos on how to refill your boats hydraulic fluid. Shops literally use synthetic power steering fluid that you can buy at canadian tire. Also very straight forward, my trick because i was doing it from empty was to blip the trim to pump fluid a bit to get some pressure built up as i went through the process of filling the reservoir again. Replacing the actual trim motor was really easy, 5 bolts and unplug it...plug it back in and put the bolts back in. I got my new motor, it was clearly 3d printed by a shop in Michigan, its pretty much just an electric coil, nothing fancy about that at all.

If you are mechanically inclined at all you can do the job yourself. If you really are hopeless, someone would do it for you for less than 3 grand, heck ill do it for you for a heck of a lot less than that as long as you can get the parts. Someone has to be making those rubber seals still, they dont need to be made by bombardier/BRP thats for sure.

Replacing the entire trim assembly because you have a few bad seal would be like putting a new axle, transmission and differential in your car because you need new tires lol

Post your Exact engine model number (it will be on the outboard) and I will search to find what you need for you.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 2

Hi,

I remember that there was a recall on TNT units on certain Etec's and if my memory serves there were models that had a single ram that were problems. As far a I can remember these were not repaired but replaced because they were defective.

Here is a link to the Etec owners group look at the I-3 catagory and search for trim, you may find some useful info...

Barnacle Bill's Marine Supply (etecownersgroup.com)

Hey everyone thanks for the responses,

I have called several dealers and Evinrude does not make part for this particular style of piston. Mike Marine was one of the largest Etec dealers in Ontario and Mike told me that this particular assembly can not be rebuilt with OEM parts

Luckily I was able to find a used unit close by for 1/4 of the cost. 

Just a warning to everyone out there in case they have a similar issues. Also not hitting rocks on the French River will also keep you from having this issue. :) 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

i guess it really is going to get more and more difficult to service Evinrude/BRP motors now. 

This is exactly what I am thinking. I love the motor its light and has lots of power on my Pro Guide 1675. But if this is the headache I am going to go through for potentially more complex repairs.... A repower might be in the near future. 

10 minutes ago, BassMan11 said:

This is exactly what I am thinking. I love the motor its light and has lots of power on my Pro Guide 1675. But if this is the headache I am going to go through for potentially more complex repairs.... A repower might be in the near future. 

boats are enough of a headache as it is, if just getting stuff to fix them is an additional headache I know what direction id be headed towards.

• Like 1