Opener

Just wanted to wish everyone who's fishing it a good opening weekend.

Rain supposed to clear out this aft., river conditions looking like they'll be dropping back to almost prime by Saturday in my area.

Enjoy, pick up after the bums where you can and don't be the guy fishing them on their redd's.

Cheers.

R

• Like 1

Anyone know the latest count at Corbett's on the Ganny ? For some reason I can't seem to open the Riverwatcher website anymore.

Last I saw this spring it was 4800...nothing like the peak in the early 90's when the run hit 18k +, but still better than a lot of the other north shore tribs these days.

21 hours ago, CrowMan said:

Anyone know the latest count at Corbett's on the Ganny ? For some reason I can't seem to open the Riverwatcher website anymore.

Last I saw this spring it was 4800...nothing like the peak in the early 90's when the run hit 18k +, but still better than a lot of the other north shore tribs these days.

the runs were never that big.....       10 to 12. but never 18 

https://www.grca.on.ca/fisheries/

At my age, the memory is definitely going...but the GRCA also states 18 k

I do remember in the late 70's and early 80's that some springs there seemed to be more fish than water...they were in that thick. There was that initial explosion in the population when they built the ladder in '74 allowing access to the headwaters spawning grounds...and of course Lake O was much more nutrient rich back then with massive populations of Alewife and Smelt.

1642074268_Screenshot_20220423-151416_SamsungNotes.jpg.1f4a17a5407c1a130314826b0c5918a6.jpg

https://www.grca.on.ca/fisheries/

At my age, the memory is definitely going...but the GRCA also states 18 k

I do remember in the late 70's and early 80's that some springs there seemed to be more fish than water...they were in that thick. There was that initial explosion in the population when they built the ladder in '74 allowing access to the headwaters spawning grounds...and of course Lake O was much more nutrient rich back then with massive populations of Alewife and Smelt.

Yes  those numbers are inflated big time .. I have argued those numbers for years... its a real long story .. but lets just say I have over 40 years of working at ladder and this is one of my biggest arguments with the MNRF. ...