Any suggestion for Ancaster/Hamilton Mechanic?

I have an awesome mechanic that has been PERFECT for many years and saved me tons of $$$ avoiding the dealerships, but…

He may be stumped with a problem on my Dodge Caravan 2012 (210k). Its past its prime but used car prices are making me hold it longer.

I have a p2127, p2138 code involving the accelerator pedal to throttle etc. Im well aware of what the errors are but fixing it is another story. The problem comes and goes and puts the vehicle in limp mode. I have had it at the shop 3 times so far, clean connections (2 week fix), replace throttle body sensor? (3 week fix), replace accelerator pedal assembly (1 week fix).

He said all thats left if the wiring. Im going to drop off at mechanics again this week but if the fault returns I have to find a solution, damn gotta pull the boat! And have it trustworthy to pull boat up north..

5 hours ago, Raycaster said:

I have an awesome mechanic that has been PERFECT for many years and saved me tons of $$$ avoiding the dealerships, but…

He may be stumped with a problem on my Dodge Caravan 2012 (210k). Its past its prime but used car prices are making me hold it longer.

I have a p2127, p2138 code involving the accelerator pedal to throttle etc. Im well aware of what the errors are but fixing it is another story. The problem comes and goes and puts the vehicle in limp mode. I have had it at the shop 3 times so far, clean connections (2 week fix), replace throttle body sensor? (3 week fix), replace accelerator pedal assembly (1 week fix).

He said all thats left if the wiring. Im going to drop off at mechanics again this week but if the fault returns I have to find a solution, damn gotta pull the boat! And have it trustworthy to pull boat up north..

TIPM module corrosion is terrible on those vehicles. Bad ground or 5 volt reference.

All sensors use a reference voltage as battery charging system fluctuates . The computer sends 5 volts to each sensor. Bad connections at the computer due to years of corrosion is most likely the cause.

• Like 1

I know you were not asking for fix suggestions, but try a replacement throttle body unit. There are three throttle position sensors for the system. There are two redundant sensors on the pedal assembly and one feedback on the throttle body. All three must match as the accelerator is moved. Now if the throttle does not stay in sync due to the throttle blade binding in worn bushings or the stepper motor has an intermittent electrical fault stopping it for a second; the PCM will see this and throws the engine into limp-in mode.  

This is not a sure thing without catching the issue while test equipment is attached to record the event, but I have had to replace hundreds while I was going after this same type of customer complaint.

Dan.

• Like 3

Thank you for the replies.

I did check Felix and Homestead Automotive and as posted they seem to be very reputable for sure, but booked up at least a week.

The vehicle is being sent in on Monday to my mechanic for a full wiring check etc.

All suggestions have been forwarded to my mechanic.

DanD, beware, you may have an ugly 2012 Dodge Caravan show up on your doorstep in the near future…

19 hours ago, Raycaster said:

DanD, beware, you may have an ugly 2012 Dodge Caravan show up on your doorstep in the near future…

Sorry man, I closed my shop last Sept, after 42 years of head-scratching, unusual jobs. Jobs that the gremlins were too slippery to catch, the first few times out fishing for them.

You seem to have trust in the shop you're dealing with, give him as many kicks at this as he is willing to. If this gremlin doesn't want to show his head while at the shop, all he can do is try this or try that and see what happens? Maybe have your guy throw a used throttle body on it; just for worst and giggles? There are tons of Caravans in the wrecking yards. If your Tech has a good repour with a yard and explains the issue. The wrecker' would likely refund or just lend him one for the test? I know as a Tech, we shouldn't just be throwing parts at a vehicle; but if the gremlin has you by the balls you may have to start fighting dirty as well.

Dan.

• Like 1

Good advice Dan. I gave up my trade (Typography) in December after 50+years. What I was taught  and also taught other is no longer valid with technology and buttons. No skills at all, today ads last seconds on a phone. My work lasted months if not years in print form in magazines or newspapers. When I open a paper from the 70s and one today, there is no comparison. We came from a different era. In my case, I’m in the works with a few others across Canada building a website and archiving those days and artefacts. 
As for cars, looks like they are only made to last so long. No more driveway repairs I did. hard to find a dipstick today. Lol

Right on schedual the van drove flawless with no error codes and no engine light on Tuesday with the nice weather. 

Next day, rain and fog, error codes 5 minutes into drive.

Thank you for the replies guys, will print suggestions and leave them with mechanic Monday. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for asking.

I have had it for a week and it sat for 3 days in between with no faults. Crappy wet day today and again no errors. So It may be Fixed finally.

My wife is pushing me to buy another vehicle but we always buy used and the prices are crazy. And then I heard that odometer readings are basically a joke now due to easy tampering and cheap mods available… an odometer “correction” tool can be bought on ebay for under $200.

On 5/3/2022 at 7:06 PM, DanD said:

Don't give up on your vehicle.

Your tech will find the issue, if he hasn't yet. 

Good luck; there always an answer to every problem.

Dan...

My Nono told me years ago "if you have enough money you can make Niagara Falls run backwards." It a tough decision to dump a vehicle past its best before date. My 2011 Silverado is creeping towards 200 ,000 KM's, so far so good except the thing is starting to rust, badly. They only want 75K to replace it!!! As far as dialing back an odometer I always look at the rubber on the pedals, a vehicle with 60,000 KM's isn't worn on the right side of the bake pedal, some guys I knew would actually replace the rubber. If they look new, walk away, if the are worn walk away. Good luck.

Anytime buying a used vehicle is always a crapshoot. What I've always ask my clients to do is bring the vehicle they are interested in; to me or any independent garage, away form the dealership that is selling it. Regardless of the pressure the sales person puts on you. One of three things happen during the inspection. It gets a thumbs up that it's a decent vehicle. Take it back and tell the dealership they should be ashamed at trying to sell you such a piece of crap. Lastly the vehicle has potential but needs certain things repaired before purchase; giving you bargaining power. IE: The brakes pass safety inspection; but within 2-3 months it'll need a grand worth of work. I wasn't just asking this for my clients sake; it was for me as well. If it's a decent vehicle the client doesn't mind (as much) spending money on. In other words I rather work on a decent vehicle then some sort of junk; no one is happy when that happens.

Dan.

• Thanks 1