Leeks are up

smitty55

Looked out the window this morning and really starting to notice that the leeks are up pretty good, right on schedule. Cant wait until they get a bit larger so I can at least get a taste from the stems until the bulbs start to formIMG_1197.JPG.8bb91943a80bd0b4b8ac795c52c154c4.JPGIMG_1198.JPG.58255f67962864eb424edd2fdcf6aeac.JPG

• Like 2

6 hours ago, misfish said:

Waiting for the Fiddles.

That too for sure. I have 3 or 4 spots out this way where I pick. I make this fabulous leek and fiddlehead cream soup that is to die for. Also has mushrooms and green onions in it. Supposedly it came from an old Harrowsmith article but I've never been able to find it. It's called Wild Country Cream Soup. I may have shared it here in the past but not sure.

Down to my last 3 logs of leek butter too so I'm just going to make it till mid May. Dougie did you end up making some last year?

When I went to public school,  many moons ago, (Oxenden), one room school, one teacher, grade one up to and including grade eight we couldn't wait for the leeks as we would eat a couple on the way to school as the teacher couldn't  stand them and would send us home. Lol. I need a fresh feed of morels is what I am craving and stock up the freezer. To me they're better than steak. 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 10:47 PM, smitty55 said:

Down to my last 3 logs of leek butter too so I'm just going to make it till mid May. Dougie did you end up making some last year?

Yep, not sure if I have one tub left in the freezer or not.  We had two inches of snow today (and so did you, probably) and I have not even looked to see if the ramps are out and about yet.

Doug

4 hours ago, akaShag said:

Yep, not sure if I have one tub left in the freezer or not.  We had two inches of snow today (and so did you, probably) and I have not even looked to see if the ramps are out and about yet.

Doug

You can be sure they're up down your way. Right now they are basically the only green in the bush so easy to spot.

• 3 weeks later...
Just to let you know if you want fiddleheads you'd best get out soon or it might be too late already. I was almost too late when I went out yesterday, most were up well over a foot and if I didn't have one spot where they come up a bit later as the water receded I would have been screwed. As it was I managed to get just over 9lb.
Cheers

Went and checked the leek patch on thursday, they're up but need a bit more heat to plump up the bulbs.  Picked a few and roasted them with oil in the oven, mixed with pasta and left over chicken and mushroom,  yum.

16 hours ago, Fisherman said:

Went and checked the leek patch on thursday, they're up but need a bit more heat to plump up the bulbs.  Picked a few and roasted them with oil in the oven, mixed with pasta and left over chicken and mushroom,  yum.

Yea mine here are just barely starting to swell a bit, it will be a while yet before main pick but still getting the odd treat fresh dipped in salt. The soil is very dry and will slow down growth without any rain in the near future. I've never tried them roasted like that, I'll have to try that tonight with steak.

Man, its so dry nothing is really doing well. My morels are up, but far and few betwen and very small. They are drying up. I don't know if I should let them go a few more days, or pick them before they are dehydrated lol. Its not looking good. 

S.