Simcoe bugs and similar in open water

Has anybody tried them? As I understand it, they are supposed to imitate a scud/shrimp rather than a caddis. I was thinking of trying them for spring lakers and for possibly for bass. Are scuds present in most, or even all, of our lakes?  

From what I have read they constitute a significant percentage of the diet of many fish esp in the spring and fall when insects and their larvae are more scarce.

Does anybody have a good source of info on this? TIA

I remember the first time I saw a crusty old guy named George using them in open water on a 6-7 foot rod, lower to the bottom and gently twitch and slowly reel up, twitch and reel.   He would only reel up about 3-4 feet and then open the bail and let it drop again.  Misfish (Brian) knows who I mean.  I haven't seen George in a couple years, don't know if he's still alive or not.   He used the same ones in the winter, again a 6-7 foot rod ice fishing.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fisherman said:

Misfish (Brian) knows who I mean.  I haven't seen George in a couple years, don't know if he's still alive or not.

Seen him this winter, still the same ole George. I cant be bothered fishing for the whities,yet there he was. LOL

I remember him 30 years ago,showing me his set up on a jigging rapala with flat fish wire hooks on the bottom. Never seen a better snagging set up. LMAO

Edited by misfish
  • Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 6:36 PM, SirCranksalot said:

Has anybody tried them? As I understand it, they are supposed to imitate a scud/shrimp rather than a caddis. I was thinking of trying them for spring lakers and for possibly for bass. Are scuds present in most, or even all, of our lakes?  

From what I have read they constitute a significant percentage of the diet of many fish esp in the spring and fall when insects and their larvae are more scarce.

Does anybody have a good source of info on this? TIA

http://www.troutnut.com/hatch/71/Arthropod-Amphipoda-Scuds

OF---thx for that link. I had some good info.

Brian----both yours and the original? simcoe bug on the SI website look quite unlike those I saw on quite a few Youtube videos that I checked out. Those were quite hairy, using something they called dubbing. So I am wondering if yours are supposed to be scuds or larvae for insects such as Mayflies?  

19 minutes ago, SirCranksalot said:

So did you tie that scud, or did you just download the pic?

Are you serious?????????????? LOL

I tie all my own stuff. A scud is a ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, cut and paste, saves on typing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Scuds are shrimp-like crustaceans or amphipods. Scud species live worldwide in a wide range of aquatic environments, including freshwater, brackish environments, and full marine conditions. The suborder which scuds belong to has a huge list of families.

5 minutes ago, SirCranksalot said:

So how do you use those scuds that you tie? On the river? BTW, 'our' river has dropped quite a bit and is starting to clear up

They are high hook bugs. You can also fly fish them and use as a high hook over a dropper fly. Or use as a dropper under a dry.

Thanks for the heads up. Would say say tomorrow would be good? I was going else where,but would sooner cover more waters.

Thanks

"They are high hook bugs. You can also fly fish them and use as a high hook over a dropper fly. Or use as a dropper under a dry." are you referring to the Simcoe bug or the scud pattern(hairy) fly?

Re river---I am not much of a steelheader so my judgement re conds is not great. There have been no fishermen's cars parked at the 2 or 3 well known locs so far. If you look on the wateroffice website you can see that the level has dropped 1/2 m or so. The color is a bit better too. If you decide to come pls PM me so we can connect by phone.  Thx

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SirCranksalot said:

I' have done very little fly fishing. Are those nymphs that you fish off the bottom?

And that hairy scud----do you use that on open water or fish thru the ice like Simcoe bugs? Thx 

Those bugs are for twitching under a float. Steelhead

The scud is year round high hook and can be used for fly fishing.

I saw 3 cars yesterday and today parked at a well known spot. Levels are down a bit more.

I was thinking of trying a hairy scud on a spinning rod  as a high hook with a drop shot. Have you ever tried them on a lake on anything other than a fly rod?

OF---my bud and I used hellgrammites for bass a few years ago, As I recall they were OK but not outstanding. They seem to be hard to find locally now.

3 hours ago, SirCranksalot said:

I saw 3 cars yesterday and today parked at a well known spot. Levels are down a bit more.

I was thinking of trying a hairy scud on a spinning rod  as a high hook with a drop shot. Have you ever tried them on a lake on anything other than a fly rod?

OF---my bud and I used hellgrammites for bass a few years ago, As I recall they were OK but not outstanding. They seem to be hard to find locally now.

Sir, the only place I have seen one was at Devils lake in Ontario 1957, a couple of youtube videos I have seen show people using them with a lot of success. I took uncle josh pork grubs and put round rubber legs on them, my top trailer for small hair jigs. These have also worked for me.

https://arkielures.com/collections/plastic-lures/products/salty-crawlin-fry