Big Chinook Salmon Anyone?

Barry Willis

This has been bugging me for years and years. Back in I believe it was 1983 or 84 Bob Izumi and I were fishing off the mouth of Colpoy creek and he told me there was a hatchery that took some chinook salmon eggs and raised the water temperature to a certain degree for a certain length of time thus rendering the fish infertile, so in other words all they did was eat and grow They were released into lake Huron. I'm wondering if any of you anglers ever caught one of these big guys or know of anyone who has? and if so how big? I never pursued them as where would you start on such a large body of water. If one was caught I'm sure it would have been purely a lucky accident if that makes sense. They would have grown to mammoth size. Years ago I saw one caught just under 90lbs at the mouth of the Kenai river in Alaska. Thank You.

This happened last December

Facebook

It was a natural fish. There was a video of her actually catching the fish but no shot of the real thing. She and her husband have both caught multiple giant salmon of this class so they know where the big ones are and how to catch them

1 hour ago, Snidley said:

This happened last December

Facebook

It was a natural fish. There was a video of her actually catching the fish but no shot of the real thing. She and her husband have both caught multiple giant salmon of this class so they know where the big ones are and how to catch them

I need to get out to the West Coast chinook fishing :) 

It's not just Salmon check the Steelhead this guy bags at 13 minutes into the video. BIGGG. It's interesting how those guys bottom bounce, they call it drifting, with slider weights and a bait cast rod in fast moving rivers. I've know about sliding weight setups but i'd never seen someone actually use them, in this case very successfully.

• Like 2