My Top 5 lures for Ontario Smallies

gordy28

Some good adds here - spybaiting is interesting 

On the cottage lake I fish I think smallies suspend quite a bit in open water (feeding on minnows I assume) - from what I have read/watched spybaiting may be the thing

Cheers

Andrew

7 hours ago, Snidley said:

I bought a Duo Realis spybait at the swap meet. I've never tried one but I've seen TV anglers say they work when little else will. Going to give it a try this summer.

Be patient…it’s a really boring way to fish, at least imo but when the presentation is correct they will outfish a heck of a lot of stuff. Also just a ridiculously versatile bait. 

our last NGTA meeting we actually got to listen to a live seminar with the owner of DUO Japan. I learned more than I could have ever imagined about spy baiting lol. 

coming directly from the owner, don’t throw it on anything heavier than 8lb test. And make sure the line you are using is of a high quality, he has his reasoning and you gotta believe the guy, he basically is single handedly responsible for making these baits hit the main stream again.

i watched chonger throwing a spy bait up in 4 feet of water last year and it was just something I had never even considered, go figure they’d eat the spy bait but wouldn’t eat a ned rig. 

Every time i watch Bob Izumi throw them he breaks them off so i guess he's using light line too. If I owned an expensive lure company i would have instructions to use 4lb line. The lure will get bit for sure AND there will be lots of lost lures. Create demand and fulfill sales quotas in one recommendation lol. The Mega Bass and Jackal guys do the same thing for even more expensive lures. Lots of their rods, including baitcasters are for unusually low line  weights as well. Highly conditioned bass in Japan one assumes. My spybait is a very realistic lure but i wonder what the fish thinks the props on it represent,

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Snidley said:

Every time i watch Bob Izumi throw them he breaks them off so i guess he's using light line too. If I owned an expensive lure company i would have instructions to use 4lb line. The lure will get bit for sure AND there will be lots of lost lures. Create demand and fulfill sales quotas in one recommendation lol. The Mega Bass and Jackal guys do the same thing for even more expensive lures. Lots of their rods, including baitcasters are for unusually low line  weights as well. Highly conditioned bass in Japan one assumes. My spybait is a very realistic lure but i wonder what the fish thinks the props on it represent,

You can’t see the prop, you’ll be blown away by how fast they spin once in the water, it’s almost ultra sonic, even the sound of them, you can hear them when they get near the boat. The bait actually looks exactly like a shiner but the shiner is sending off high pitched TINNNGGG sound. 

You're definitely not seeing the prop spin when the bait is in the water, it's spinning way too fast.  All you'll really notice is a subtle side to side roll and you'll wonder why fish bother to even eat these things.    Then you'll have days where it's fish after fish after fish and they won't touch anything else.    My setup is nothing special.  2500 series Sustain FE, 6lb Nanofil and a 10lb flouro lead on a 7ft med/fast Avid..  If I could change one thing about my setup it would be the rod,  something around 8ft, much softer tip (Think glass crankbait rod) with some backbone for long casts would be perfect.     You wanna make bomber casts with these things and yes, it's the most boring type of fishing there is.  You really need to focus on your retrieve and slow it to a crawl to make sure you're in the zone you want be fishing.   

• Like 1

I've got an 8 foot Airrus 457 Co Matrix (actually Sirrus before trademark infringement made them change the name) It's 8' 12-30lb and 1/2oz to 1 3/8oz lure rating. You would think it's a broomstick but it is my walleye trolling rod in my 'toon. I catch walleyes, smallmouth and even on occasion chinnies with it. It's so forgiving it's not funny. Ken  Whiting gave it to me and I've been looking to find another for years. At one time I had 3 of them but i foolishly sold the casting versions because the reelseat was not up to salmon fishing. The reel would literally pop off the rod with a salmon on. The blank is truly amazing on Co Matricx 457's. Buy it if you ever see one for sale.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1. Walk the dog 4.5 inch 1oz (Casts a mile and I cover the water, and/or I'm searching)

2. Walk the dog 4 inch .6 oz (Subtle compared to the above)

3. Popper 3 inch .5 oz (Picking spots, in particular near shore and where I think the above are "too much" and better when I know the spot)

4. Plopper style 4 inch 3/4 oz (Covering water but not as "fun" for me compared to #1 & #2)

5. Never get to #5

• Haha 1

On 3/26/2022 at 4:56 PM, OhioFisherman said:

1.) 3 1/2 tube green pumpkin for a crayfish look, white and silver for a bait fish look.

2.) 4 inch Zoom lizard, junebug or watermelon blue.

3.) old school Storm wee wart, chrome - black back - red chin.

4.) hair jig, black or brown, with a pork or rubber trailer.

5.) underspin, like the old school road runners or newer options.

Can't fault what has worked for you.

#3 and #4 would be on my list as well Paul!

• Like 1