Classic Reels;

Barry Willis

I hope I'm not boring the dickens out of you fellas; Yeah I know I need to get out and get a life, A fishing life. Unfortunately in my neck of the woods the ice is too thin and no open water. I thought about taking the Argo out but if it breaks through and won't climb back up on it I'd really be in trouble. I noticed a couple posts in regards to the 300 Mitchell. I'm curious if any one had a 300 Dam Quick. I used to go through at least one closed face reel a month. They looked nice but just didn't last. The guy at the hard ware store in Wiarton kept asking why don't you buy a 330 Quick. This was in the mid to late sixties.  I finally told him I couldn't afford one as my only income in my pre teens was selling dew worms at 25 cents a dozen. He talked me into putting $5:00 bucks down and continue paying for it when I could. It was $35:00. I finally got it and what an awesome reel. I used it pretty much every day for years and only had to replace the bail spring twice and I still have it. The only thing I didn't like was the loud clicking as I cranked it. I started keeping it in that position though as there were a couple times when I got a hit and went to set the hook my fingers slipped off the handle and it would wind backwards thus letting the line become slack. I then bought a 300 Mitchell off a friend for $5:00 brand new in the box. How could I not? I'd heard so much about them and seen a lot of other anglers using them. It may sound stupid but at the time I could not get use to it after using the Quick for so long as the bail spun the opposite direction than the Quick. But I still have it and I did eventually get use to it. I wouldn't be afraid to tie into any size fish with the 300 Quick. The Mitchell is no where near as robust or heavy duty. Happy Days.  

Edited by Barry Willis
had to add content remove content

• Barry Willis changed the title to Classic Reels; Edited, didn't want to offend anyone
18 minutes ago, dave524 said:

Mid 50's Dad ran a Pezon Michel Luxor, he ran it probably into the early 70's, it was a pretty sweet reel , I got an Ambidex No.4 in 1964 , good reel as well. Never had a Michell 300 but did run a 308 as an ultralight

I too had an old Mitchel 308, beautiful reel that was once my Father's, Dave. The 300 pails by comparison.

• Barry Willis changed the title to Classic Reels;
  • 2 months later...

Howdy Garry, very nice to get your message. I still have my 330 Quick. I used it almost every day for years and the only thing I had to do was replace the bail spring and right from around the same time I bought a 110 ultra light, it is an awesome little reel. Quick went out of business but years later they were reintroduced but I can't remember where they were manufactured. At that time the 330 became 330I and so on. They were also a good reel but not as good as the original. Tight lines. - Barry.

• 1 month later...