Has anyone ever used these Boone Lyman style baits for salmon?

Snidley

I saw these on a fishing website I've used in the past. Not really a brand i know. they look a lot like Lymans , or J plugs or Tomics but i have never heard of them for Salmon.

Trolling Lures – FishAndSave

The link shows the whole page . The lure I was referring to is called a Boone Castana They are 31/2 inch or 3 inch lures that are pu plugs that they claim are surface jerkbaits or steady retrieve or trolling subsurface lures

I use Lymans and Tomics casting with a straight retrieve and sometimes it's the only thing they will take. i use a clip to attach to the line, an "O" ring or straight tie does not work as well. A Rapala knot would also work well I'm sure. Lots of anglers out west use plugs like Lyman on trolling weights with success. They definitly wobble with a great deal of back and forth movement, it's what makes them work on sulky chinooks. That movement is what you look for in a good hot shoting lure like a Hot Shot, Kwikie, Hot-n-tot or Wiggle Wart.

I saw some of the NEW Lymans at Canadian Tire in Burlington not too long ago. Just a surprise to see a few pegs there as that location has a bigger fishing section than normal. Can't recall the $ and all I can remember is they had the Canadian flag color

The Lyman site also has a cool 6 blank hardware kit for those wanting to do their own color schemes. I think it was $59.99 and you get all the bodies and hardware to put together. Not sure if that was USD or CAD but seemed interesting based on what people are asking for the old ones

I believe "NEW" Lymans are plastic not wood. That would make them J-Plugs not Lymans IMO. I have a plastic salmon plug that is like a J Plug but is made by the same company that makes Moonshine spoons. It glows like crazy but I have never caught anything with it. In that type of circumstance I have more confidence in the Lyman than a Tomic, Moonshine, J=Plug etc.  The interest in the Boon Castanas was in the colour scheme, size (3"-31/2") and the the $4 price tag. Something I learned this year from a buddy was that sometimes if the salmon are off on bigger lures like J-13s then a J13 with the back half removed is the ticket. It still dives and wiggles like a jointed J 13 but without the back half there's a smaller profile, so it's finesse.  T o make one for yourself you have to destroy the back half of the J13 but if you find them floating down the river like I do you don't mind cutting the back end off of a few because they are the ticket sometimes.

I believe "NEW" Lymans are plastic not wood. That would make them J-Plugs not Lymans IMO. I have a plastic salmon plug that is like a J Plug but is made by the same company that makes Moonshine spoons. It glows like crazy but I have never caught anything with it. In that type of circumstance I have more confidence in the Lyman than a Tomic, Moonshine, J=Plug etc.  The interest in the Boon Castanas was in the colour scheme, size (3"-31/2") and the the $4 price tag. Something I learned this year from a buddy was that sometimes if the salmon are off on bigger lures like J-13s then a J13 with the back half removed is the ticket. It still dives and wiggles like a jointed J 13 but without the back half there's a smaller profile, so it's finesse.  T o make one for yourself you have to destroy the back half of the J13 but if you find them floating down the river like I do you don't mind cutting the back end off of a few because they are the ticket sometimes.

I stand corrected on Lymans. Those kits ARE cedar plugs. that's good news for fisherman and very bad news for guys that hoarded original Lymans and were asking $30 a piece for them. Now we have to find the convicts that used to paint them up to get tips on what colours work best.

I forgot to add, YES like most tackle junkies on here I bought a couple of the new ones, just not the Canadian Flag

The are plastic and have a scale pattern/gill ridge molded into the body. I was impressed with the action and they did sweep way out right and left like the old ones do, but never really ran them for any length of time so no fish on them so far. I keep looking at those kits and will have to do that this year.

I love my little 2" for lakers up north