Cobourg Fish Lift a go this year!

Ron

Hello everyone

A welcomed update to do with the Cobourg Creek annual RAINBOW TROUT spring migration.

With the COVID restrictions being lifted, the fish lift will be going ahead this year.

When: Saturday April 2nd, 2022 (weather permitting)

Where: The Mill Restaurant & Pub
            990 Ontario St.
            Cobourg, Ontario

Time: 9:30AM

Volunteers are welcome, bring chest waders and bring a net.

Cheers!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Glad to hear!

Lifts on my home rivers have also been cancelled since it started and its a relief to hear the clubs, volunteers, and hatcheries have a chance to get back to doing what they can to aid in sustaining such a great fishery.

I always look forward to getting my little nephews out to watch and help even if its just litter pickup for them so far.

Its a great intro to the outdoors and conservation in general for young guns.

Good luck and please update with how things are looking out that way this year!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is no longer run by the MNRF. This has been organized by volunteers for the past several years. Permits are issued by the MNRF and the local Conservation Authority.  There is still a biologists on site to ensure proper handling of fish with minimal scientific data collected (Spieces and sex identification only).

So, saying that, volunteers are welcome to attend. Starting time for volunteers will commence at 8:30am. A sign in sheet is required to be covered on the insurance policy.

Hope to you there!

Cheers, Ron....

Very similar situation on the rivers in my part of Southern Ontario.

The volunteer associations involved with lifts and egg/data collection on them are also proceeding as they did before and from my understanding there have been no outside issues raised at all. 

Looks like you have a nice day weather wise for volunteers and fish.

Hopefully you get a good turnout of both this year.

Please update with how it goes and enjoy the day.

R  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does the volunteer group that is issued 'permits' from the mnr and conservation authority for the lift, have a website/title/organization attached to it ?   200 Rainbows seems like an insignificant number... IS there any public fishing opportunity on the river above the dam, or the 'sensitive brook trout habitat'  the low number is 'preserving' ?  We all love seeing the fish stock increase and streams being cleaned and rehabbed (see historic dam removal projects et al).  What I don't like seeing is projects organized by 'neighbourhood orgs'  private landowners  and 'clubs' (composed of wealthy local lobbyists) who organize projects and legal documentation practices designed to appease the press, whom real agenda is keeping people away and getting kudos for it.  Insurance?  that made me double-take...seems a little 'fishy'.  Is this what is happening there?