Advice requested: graph for a fishing boat

akaShag

18 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

The card will actually make an audible click noise when it gets pushed into the slot. Don’t push too hard, just nice enough to feel and hear that little click.

My wife can hear a mouse fart.  I can hear jet engines and 12 gauge shells firing perfectly fine.  So the "CLICK" probably happened, but I certainly did not hear it.  But (using the cheaters) I could see that it stuck where it was supposed to stick.  I think.

We'll see tomorrow if this gizmo works like it is designed to do...........please wish me luck!

Doug

You can power the unit up without being in the water, once it's on hit the power button, scroll up to 'sonar' and make sure it's off.  Then you can mess around with the unit without worrying about your transducer heating up from being out of the water.    This way you can test everything beforehand. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BillM said:

You can power the unit up without being in the water, once it's on hit the power button, scroll up to 'sonar' and make sure it's off.  Then you can mess around with the unit without worrying about your transducer heating up from being out of the water.    This way you can test everything beforehand. 

I REALLY appreciate this advice, and THANKS so much!

So, on day 32 of bass season (yesterday) I finally got out for bass for the first time this year.  A BC trip, and then covid, played hell with the first 31 days....

I love my new Alumacraft, I love my Yamaha, and I am happy I decided to sell my old boat and buy a new rig.  The Terrova motor has plenty of power for my needs, and the deploy/stow assist gizmo is a back saver for sure.  The foot pedal, however, is not at all intuitive.  Press down at the toe, it turns the head right, down on the heel turns it left.  More pressure is needed on the heel than the toe.  The "gas pedal" is top left and fairly small.  So pretty near every time I just wanted power, the motor head would turn to the right and I might or not get power.  No question of watching where I am fishing and just using the pedal by feel (as in my old boat).  I have to LOOK AT the pedal every single time, and ignore my line.  Much of my fishing is watching my line for any signs of a bite, since most bass takes are pretty subtle (on jigs, plastic worms, etc which I use 95% of the time) so I probably missed some fish because of farting around with the foot pedal.

And what about that graph, to get back on topic.........it seems to work just fine but I definitely need more time playing with it to get the best use out of it.  And it is mounted at the stern of my tiller boat, not at the bow where I spent most of my time yesterday morning.

And I landed nine bass, all largemouth, in a bit less than 3 hours, so the fishing was pretty decent too!

Thanks for all the advice, folks, it is much appreciated!

• Like 1

You will learn to use the pedal, do not give up on it.

eventually it will become such an extension of your body that the speed of the terrova electric steering won’t be fast enough for you. Well that is unless you experience the feeling of a “cable steer feel” motor like a Garmin force. Once you go with that style you can never go back IMO.

37 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

You will learn to use the pedal, do not give up on it.

eventually it will become such an extension of your body that the speed of the terrova electric steering won’t be fast enough for you. Well that is unless you experience the feeling of a “cable steer feel” motor like a Garmin force. Once you go with that style you can never go back IMO.

Yes, my old foot pedal was completely "an extension of my body" and maybe this one will eventually be that as well.  But this electric will be the last one I buy, unless I have a catastrophic failure/accident with it.  Same for the boat, motor, graph, etc, this rig should do me until I hang up my fishing gear.  And hopefully that will be many a year from now!

Did you get ipiot?  Assuming you did.   I generaly use mine in auto pilot mode  where it will maintain a heading  helps cut down on the fiddling with the footpedal when working a section of shorline I find the standard a.p.  works better than the advanced for this. 

Edited by Freshtrax
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Freshtrax said:

Did you get ipiot?  Assuming you did.   I generaly use mine in auto pilot mode  where it will maintain a heading  helps cut down on the fiddling with the footpedal when working a section of shorline I find the standard a.p.  works better than the advanced for this. 

Indeed I do, and thanks for this idea.  Some of the shorelines I fish are pretty straight and I think this will work.  Some are pretty irregular.  But yes, anything that keeps my eye on my line is a great idea.

Doug

Fresh trax’s point is actually so true I just forgot because it’s been a while since I’ve used an electric steer.

but truthfully when I had a terrova I spent 90% of my time pointing my boat into the wind, hitting “constant” and then hitting “heading” 

effectively once you’ve aimed the boat and put the setting on a speed that gets you to crawl into the wind, the boat will literally drive itself.

on really windy days fishing open water I still use this functionality like crazy rather than dancing around on the trolling motor as the wind attempts to throw the boat everywhere. Keeping the boat under power stop the boat from swinging sideways while rolling forward.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, akaShag said:

Indeed I do, and thanks for this idea.  Some of the shorelines I fish are pretty straight and I think this will work.  Some are pretty irregular.  But yes, anything that keeps my eye on my line is a great idea.

Doug

Hold down on the N button until the circle goes away.  Otherwise the motor will jog and occasionally steer in another direction.

Edited by porkpie

12 minutes ago, porkpie said:

Hold down on the N button until the circle goes away.  Otherwise the motor will jog and occasionally steer in another direction.

Is that with the remote?  I have not used it yet, still trying to figure out the foot pedal...