Advice requested: graph for a fishing boat

akaShag

I have a new boat coming and will put a new graph on it.  I am NOT a competitive angler, so I don't need all the bells and whistles, PLUS I am an old fart and not a technically-inclined sort of fellow.  🙄

I was following a discussion on here a year or two ago but did not archive it (foolish me!) and so here I am asking for advice that some of you have no doubt provided before.  I have been very much a Lowrance fan for ever (and Eagle, but that's like Chev/GM = same/same), BUT some people whose opinions I value are died-in-the-wool Humminbird fans.

I NEED good, accurate depth.  I LIKE a reasonable idea about fish and bait.  Everything else is gravy.  It looks like the HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G2 is a very decent rig and is priced right at $440 plus tax.  Is that a good choice?  I am thinking GPS and "CHIRP" are both useful features, and that appears to be the lowest-end model that has both of those.

I would very much value your opinions, and even more your own experiences with relatively new models of graphs.  THANKS!

Doug

Edited by akaShag

• akaShag changed the title to Advice requested: graph for a fishing boat

Shag, I’d save yourself a few extra Pennies and get the 7 over the 5. The difference in screen size between the 5 and 7 is about as noticeable as the difference between a 7 and a 12. 

i found the 5 very difficult the read the GPS off of especially since screens are now always in landscape format. 

i wish I could sell you my helix 7 g2 chirp gps at a stupid deal but I just realized today that for some reason I can no longer get the transducer to connect to it.

if you simply want water temp, gps, and depth you cannot go wrong with a helix 7 chirp gps G2. It’s the lowest price with some of the best imaging on the market. For a guy that’s also looking for a simple unit to use it’s right up there with the best for that application. An added bonus they are extremely simple to convert to and ice fishing flasher if you buy a xi 9 ice transducer!

ill add, if you are looking for any help with wiring/getting it set up and dialed, as per my other thread let me know id love to help!

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

helix 7 g2 chirp gps

THANKS for the advice!  But this unit appears to be discontinued.  And any prices I see for Helix 7 graphs as opposed to Helix 5 graphs appear to cost hundreds of dollars more.  What am I missing here?

1 hour ago, akaShag said:

THANKS for the advice!  But this unit appears to be discontinued.  And any prices I see for Helix 7 graphs as opposed to Helix 5 graphs appear to cost hundreds of dollars more.  What am I missing here?

You will have a heck of a time reading that 5 inch screen when you are out in the boat. Especially for navigating. 

the 7 will allow you to navigate no problem, I was using a 7 up until last year at my console purely for the gps and had no issues running around the lake at 50mph and reading it.

• Thanks 1

Well, I bought a new unit, this one: Humminbird® Helix™ 7 Mega DI GPS G3 with Nav+

I might need a younger person to show me how it all works, but anyways THANKS to everybody for the advice, and THANKS to AKRISONER for his patience and explanations, and for finding me the deal on this unit! 😁

Those wily fish will not be able to hide from me now!!!!

Doug

• Like 2

On 3/23/2022 at 12:30 PM, akaShag said:

Well, I bought a new unit, this one: Humminbird® Helix™ 7 Mega DI GPS G3 with Nav+

I might need a younger person to show me how it all works, but anyways THANKS to everybody for the advice, and THANKS to AKRISONER for his patience and explanations, and for finding me the deal on this unit! 😁

Those wily fish will not be able to hide from me now!!!!

Doug

Just turn it on and go. Easy peasy. 

S. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

OK so I had the boat in the water back in May for crappies, and not since then.  A trip to BC, and then covid, got in my way.  So far I love the Yamaha, I love the boat, I love spotlock, I HATE the foot pedal, and the graph has been mildly useful but mostly confusing.

So packaged with the graph was an SD card from Navionics, and a link to download the charts etc.  I did get that accomplished without too much cussing.  But when I went to stick the SD card into the graph, first of all it took me forever to find the slot (and its chintzy cover) but the freakin hole is for a micro SD card.  Will that itty bitty wafer that come out of the bottom of the SD card work?  It is about 1/2" by 3/16" and as thin as a playing card.

I have exactly zero idea what to do now.  Can one of you more technical guys please help me out here?  I hope to finally get out for bass this week........

Doug

9 minutes ago, porkpie said:

Yes the small card inside the big card will work just fine.  Pop it into the micro SD card slot and you should be good to go!

Thanks!  It's so small I hope it only goes in one way, if I put it in backwards it's never coming out of there............

Any idea WHY they would choose to use the micro instead of a standard size SD card?  Trail cameras are a quarter the size of this graph, and they use full-size cards........

Doug

24 minutes ago, porkpie said:

Half of my trail cams use micro SD

I learn something new here just about every time I log in!  I have a dozen trail cams, some of which I leave up year round, and I have had another 8 or maybe 10 over the years.  None of them used the micro cards.  That must be "interesting" swapping out those tiny cards in the woods!!!!  I have a hard enough time not dropping the regular cards into the snow or leaves and stuff.

Anyways I am going to try to put this little card into the graph tomorrow, stay tuned for more cries for help........😉

To get the cards out I’ve honestly resorted to using a knife to poke the ridge on them. The card will actually make an audible click noise when it gets pushed into the slot. Don’t push too hard, just nice enough to feel and hear that little click.

to remove you will once again push on the card to hear that click and it will release the card from the slot.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

to remove you will once again push on the card to hear that click and it will release the card from the slot.

Thanks again for good advice!  I was wondering if I would ever have to remove the card once I get it in there.  Why would one need to remove it?

Doug

10 hours ago, akaShag said:

Thanks again for good advice!  I was wondering if I would ever have to remove the card once I get it in there.  Why would one need to remove it?

Doug

I was autocharting a bunch with a helix 7 for a time so that required swapping cards. Then I acquired a helix 9 and it had two slots so I didn’t need to swap anymore. Now I’ve gone totally Garmin so I don’t touch cards what so ever because they own navionics.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DaddyMac said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8O5UoM4o0s

I found this video very helpful when setting up my Helix for optimal performance.  I use it for mostly lake trout fishing but I'm sure it could help in any scenario.

Good luck.

Mac

We had a saying in my old work place, TMFI.  Too Much "freakin" information........  I will have to look at that video another ten times to absorb all of it.  Thanks!

Edited by akaShag

21 hours ago, BillM said:

Goes in this way...     :)

FlLUkJql.png

OK I put on the cheaters, got the itty bitty disk out of the SD card, and successfully seated it in the unit.  I think!

When I wore a younger man's clothes I could tie a #16 hook onto 2 lb test without glasses...................🙄

Thanks again Bill, that was MOST useful!

Doug

• Like 2