Ole yella,going to be killa

misfish

Are you using Silly Legs for those? Have you ever thought about trying it with something like Lady Amhurst pheasant tail? I bet that with the silly legs you would get some extra bounce if actively jigging, but with the pheasant tail you would get more subtle movement if the jig is just sitting there. Might be a cool comparison to do. 

19 hours ago, Tom S said:

Are you using Silly Legs for those? Have you ever thought about trying it with something like Lady Amhurst pheasant tail? I bet that with the silly legs you would get some extra bounce if actively jigging, but with the pheasant tail you would get more subtle movement if the jig is just sitting there. Might be a cool comparison to do. 

Afternoon Tom, nice to hear from you sir.

I am using silly legs and sexi legs. It is a twitch bug that most guys are using now on the eastern tribs and yes,they work up here as well with the snow run off on the GBAY tribs. Great where you can find hanging over trees . I hear ya on the pheasant tail. I am making some up soon,but they will be a bead head fly style. I have a guy in Collingwood that has asked for a a dozen. They are on the next list of bugs to do.

It was a 3:30 AM start this morning. Preped and got a brisket in the smoker,pot of java,and on the vise. Tied a few that I am putting feelers out on to see if they would work.

20220326_122454.jpg.2fa06653075d0717dbe5e4b53d3214dd.jpg

20220326_081334.jpg.1ba890e206b0df7033aa3b251c3c7fb3.jpg

20220326_062451.jpg.11d80708dc3f96e73a937e24baa8578b.jpg

20220326_081404.jpg.e39a68afe2a7a07d1d14544aee53f845.jpg

20220326_084501.jpg.9580af29a1953a198e0adce947e60322.jpg

If I am not mistaken,You sent me my first balance jig hooks,pins and hooks. They are long gone,but they allowed me to learn the tie. KUDOS to you for offering them up.

Edited by misfish

Lol. That's true, I remember addressing the box to 'Loony Tuber' or something like that. Gives me great pleasure to have seen them used up and where you have gone since then.

It's interesting you mention these being used on tribs. Do you tie them differently than the bugs you use while ice fishing? I would think that in the faster running water you would want to use some materials that would hold their shape a bit better, be a bit stiffer, so that the bug doesn't loose it's profile in the flow. But while ice fishing you usually aren't dealing with any or very minimal current, so using softer and more flexible materials could be used to give an appearance of the bug moving without it actually moving (if that make sense). 

7 hours ago, bigcreekdad said:

You should post a tying video....awesome looking bug. Do you use primarily for trout?

Yes, but I will bet crappies and perch would nail them.

I have tried a few attempts at a video. I will some day for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SirCranksalot said:

Very interesting. What are they supposed to be imitating?  I thought the weather was a bit cool for bugs when the trout run on the rivers in spring or fall? 

I agree with OF---like to try them for bass.

It is just a leggy nymph. Legs give more jiggle/ attraction, to the bait.

6 hours ago, SirCranksalot said:

Up at 3:30 to tie those??? You some kind of nymphomaniac??

I can tell ya this. Being off the last 2.5 months,it was like being retired. Get up at Lew oclock,java,tie bugs, have a nap, make dinner,bed early as I was up early. Found you do not miss much at night. LOL. Now back to work the past 4 days,I was not getting up that early. I want to sleep in. Takes a bit to get back in the work mode. LOL

If that is what retirement feels like, I think when it comes full time,I am going to enjoy it.

I had a good bud tell me I need to hit the swaps next year, so I will be working on the vise as much as I can til then. Might be a great retirement side kick job.

• 4 weeks later...